Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am looking to buy my first sled. I only have about $2300 to spend because most of my is money tied up in dirt bikes. I was wondering what you would think would be good. Considering the way I ride my dirt bike I want something thats quick but not to fast and I want to jump with out blowing out my shocks. My friends tryng to sell me his stock 95' polaris 500 indy for $1600. Some one I know who owns a shop has a 97' Ski-doo MXZ 583 he will give me for $2200. I leaning towards theMXZ, Are either one of them good or should I keep looking? Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
778 Posts
The MxZ will be a better sled to pound on. The '95 Polaris does not have any suspension. Depending on the miles and overall condition of the MxZ is up to you whether it is worth 2200 or not.
I have a '97 SkiDoo Formula SlS 500 liquid cooled , mint , high mileage for sale in Michigan for $1775

·
Registered
109 Posts
The arctic cat 440 sno pro would probably be a good sled for you. They are quick off the line, nimble in the winding trails, and I believe the suspension will accomodate the jumps. You could probably pick one up for 2k-3k. The one thing I heard was that you may need to rebuild them after so many miles/hours. Tach that motor out so high for so long and things are going to wear. I would talk to the mechanics at your local shop. They could probably give you some good insight.

I've got an MXZ 700 and ride similar to the way you describe, but I've got the wrong sled for it. I've been looking at the snow pros for some time, but was holding off the last couple years because the other mfg's are starting to put sleds on the floor that compare to those used in sno cross.

(I was riding in the keweenaw peninsula in upper michigan last winter and raced a 440 sno pro. There was a group of us that were taking turns off the line and racing a hundred yards or so. This 440 smoked me off the line with skis off the ground. It was stock too. I was pretty impressed.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for all the info. The 440 snowpro has kind of been my dream sled, but I didn't think I would be able to afford. I was looking and I found a few for good deals but their mostly fan cooled, does that matter? And waht years should I be looking for? Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts