Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hello everyone! im new here and also new to owning a snowmobile, got a good deal on a 2016 pro rmk 155. its a great mountain sled but my buddies own trail sleds so im just wondering if im going to be miserable while on trail or able to have fun and keep up while being carefull around turns! ive done my research and seems people are 50/50 but i figured ill get a crossover next year if its really that bad.
im also in ottawa and not to sure how deep the snow will be or of any good riding areas, if you know the area would really appreciate some ideas!
did i make a poor purchase or am i gonna have the time of my life when i do get around to taking it off trail?
thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
If your friends have dedicated trail sleds and you are on the trails, you lose. Big time. RMK's corner like a tuna boat. But... when it's time to get off the trail, you will be the only one not stuck. And top speed... you won't hit 80 often, and if you do, you take the chance of the track coming apart. RMKS are not meant for speed or cornering. They do what they do really well, though. Steep and deep!

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Longer track will push through the corner more, but you'll skip across the washboard better than they will.

If you find yourself always doing trail, you might just consider getting a smaller lug track. Assuming that one is larger than 1". Even with scratchers the >1" lug tracks tend to heat up the hyfax and that actually gets sticky, so it drags a bunch. Not to mention you can melt your hyfax. Scratchers will prevent melt downs, but putting a shorter lug track might be an semi-inexpensive option.

I say semi-inexpensive because it really depends on the cost of the track. I've seen new tracks sell for $400, but often you can find take-offs.

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
Im afraid you did Not get the right sled!
Although the mountains may get a longer season and deeper snow
Trail riding can take to see alot and most trails lead to nice warm bars and restaurants!

I don't think you can buy a new 155" by 1" track even for $400 or 500!

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
Tracks USA does sell a 155" x 1.6" track, that is about an inch smaller than the stock RMK lug. They sell the Camoplast Cobra and the Ice Cobra, which has small imbedded studs in the lugs. The Ice Cobra is $655 bucks, though.

But with that track, you would do a LOT better job keeping up on the trails and in the twisties.

JMHO, mind you. Just like always :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tracks USA does sell a 155" x 1.6" track, that is about an inch smaller than the stock RMK lug. They sell the Camoplast Cobra and the Ice Cobra, which has small imbedded studs in the lugs. The Ice Cobra is $655 bucks, though.

But with that track, you would do a LOT better job keeping up on the trails and in the twisties.

JMHO, mind you. Just like always :)
Ill look into that! Thanks alot!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yeah have to agree with the guys above, you will need to go to a lower lug track. Tracks in the 155" range are usually all paddle tracks except the one that Dan mentioned. Those Ice Attack tracks are nice to the point the next track I do on one of mine is going to be a 1" Ice Attack track or 1.25" Ice Attack depending on the year of the snowmobile I have at that time. Most come with between 192-244 built in studs although some people still add more studs to it if they have a high HP machine around here. Personally I've ridden a 1999 Polaris with the 600 Liberty and Xtra-10 suspension with a 1" Ice Attack and it felt just like mine with 96 1" studs in it. Just make sure you have the right amount of carbides on your ski's for those tracks I would recommend 8" carbides heck I would even consider going to dual carbides if I had a track like that on a 800.

If you plan strictly going trail riding, isn't there some gearing and clutching changes he can make Dan on that sled? Just something to add a little more in the top end while out on the trail? Maybe make it a 50-50 if he still wants to go into the deep stuff?

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
I have an Ice Ripper on my 03 Pantera it does real well.
A 1.6" is still a paddle track, I would Not run anything taller than 1.5 on trail and even perfere the 1.25 and studs!

·
Super Moderator
17,905 Posts
The 155" track is way too long to consider high speed. I'd stick with stock gearing. If you gear up for higher speed, you will have less performance on acceleration. 155" is a lot of track to get moving.

A lot of the mountain sleds gear for lower top end to keep the RPM in the powerband when they are climbing. Keeping the track turning is a key to making it up the hill sometimes!

·
Super Moderator
2,165 Posts
Funny you say that, I have the same 'Problem' keeping that ZR1035 hooked up!

Funny how the two riding styles are SOOOO different

1 - 10 of 10 Posts