Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, this is our "new" sled and is in great condition but is squirrely when were on well used trails. My wife primarily drives it and I want it to track straight and safe to drive as possible. I added studs and that helped but I'm wondering about the front shocks set up and maybe dual carbides if available? I just looked at and then my brother bought a 99ZR 600 which is basically the sister sled and that sled had the front springs set in the middle and easily operated. Our ZL has them cranked up and stiff and I"m wondering if this could be part of the problem, also what about dual carbides if available?

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
Dual carbides will definitely help. Adjusting the ski springs is simple, I would try it and see.

And make sure the skis are aligned to the track. They should be toed OUT 1/8" to 1/4" of an inch. Any toe in will result in darting all over the place.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
The toe in and toe out is important. Many of the newer machines want the skis parallel with each other and the track. The problem with that is that as things start to wear out, the skis will tend to toe-in more and cause the darting issues. I'll keep adjusting to the spec of 1/8" to 1/4" out on all my sleds.

Obviously ski pressure is important to how it handles and how easy it is to turn. Any adjustments to the suspension should be made with the idea that front-middle-rear should all be adjusted accordingly to keep the balance.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
Welcome
Most any sled can be set up for most anyone.
Less ski pressure makes steering easier!
Doubling up the carbide then makes the skis bite more and turn better!
I have Dual 8" carbides and Alot of studs!
It is a ballance!

I have a 580 and love it
96 studs
Dual 4 or 6" carbides and play with your spring tensions and get it dialed it for her!

Let me know if that sleds needs anything LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks KC, do you think the front springs being cranked up can cause the squirrely control? Of course it runs pretty good on freshly groomed. I took your and Coolhands advice last year and put in 96 studs and that helped a bunch.
Heres a pic of my hood fix w/ brass cabinet hinges! The hood is mint on the outside but the attachment cleats both broke. The hinge let me easily attach w/ epoxy and rivets to what was left of the cleat which is at an angle and made it hard to use a 90 degree bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If the springs are too tight it would be a rougher ride up front. I set mine to a middle of the road setting. Also check the limiter strap as well in the front suspension if it is too much one way it will dig in while turning too much the other way it will lift and not steer as well.

While dual carbides will help I have never had to use them. Always got by with 6" or 8" now I will say that the Shaper Bar Carbides were an improvement over standard carbides but you pay for them. I usually pay around 50-60 for 8" carbides for mine but the shaper bar carbides in even 4" were 70 and 6" I bought once were almost 84 or something like that. Hays Days would be a good bet for getting some parts. I would love to go and stay the night but too expensive right now for me. Unless you wanna go over there doug,lol. See what kind of trouble we can get into with KC while we are there!

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
You really should try the dual's
I wish don't look like Im even going
But I will post about Belvidere coming in late Sept?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts