Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sled is a 1999 SRX 700. Riding in deep powdery drifts yesterday, and occasionally, after a long period of time with the snow coming up over the hood, the sled would begin to run badly, almost as if it had fouled a plug. Had no power either. But then it would clear up again. Seemed to happen most times when I had alot of snow stuck on the hood, and it got better after I cleared it off. I did have the black plastic plate for the left side of the hood in place. Any ideas whats going on?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
when the hood is covered in snow you are essentially blocking off the flow of fresh air forcing the sled to use the hot under hood air. this makes the sled go rich, creating your bog and power loss.

one way to reduce the chances of this happening is to inspect the condition of your exhaust. there are 3 donut type gaskets where the pipes meet the manifold and the same configuration at the exhaust can. make sure these are in good condition and sealing well. if not, get some high heat silicone(black makes for a cleaner look vs orange) and seal all the joints.

also, while you have the silicone out, take a close look at where the can exits the belly pan. shine a light up from the bottom and see how much light you can see. seal this area as well.

due to the lack of an exhaust deflector, with the exit for the pipe hitting the snow, the hot gasses are sucked back in around this exit further adding hot air under the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that does make sense. I know the donuts arent in the best of shape, I had the entire exhaust system off earlier to replace the starter rope. They were kinda worn. How much to replace these, do you think? I'll look into the silicone. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
it will shock you when you price them out, especially when you multiply by 3. its been awhile since i replaced any but it seems like it was over $75 for the set of the big ones at the manifold.

you may want to check the tension on the springs as they like to stretch and add to the problem as well as shortening the life of the donuts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch. After just registering and getting my trail passes and insurance, I think i'll look into the silicone option. When I removed the pipes, some of the springs seemed tighter than others, but if I try and shake or move the pipes around, they dont move and stay put.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts