Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Arctic cat ZL 500 non efi sled that has been stood for 8 years. It started first time on easy start but i could not get it to run on its own. I could see air in the fuel line so i replaxced the fuel pump and removed the carbs. The needle valves? where stuck so i gave the aluminum a tap near the valve and that freed them up. I put the carbs back on and after 4 pulls it fired up and rand for 20 minutes or so although smokey. After the 20 mins it died, I fired it back up it ran for a few mins then died again i tried giving it gas and it still died and sounded like fuel starvation. I went to pull the coil and it felt tight then it wen normal but it would not fire. I took the plugs out and they looked fouled with water and some oil (could be some water in the tank from being stood so long) i put the plugs back in and it was still tight and as i pulled the coil it made a huge backfire. The engine pulls easy with no plugs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Barry

·
Registered
521 Posts
If it was stored for 8 years, you should clean out the tank and put in fresh gas, perhaps you did this already but it's not mentioned in your post. Next, do a complete and thorough carb clean by completely disassembling soaking in carb cleaner (be carefull not to submerge the little plastic window on the side of the carbs or it may disolve) Run very fine wires through the orifices and blow them out with compressed air. If it were mine I would also replace all the fuel ines since they will be easily accessible with the carbs off and replace the spark plugs too. That should get the motor running better but dont forget about the rest of the sled, check all bearings in the suspension, change the chain case oil etc.
Good luck. I love my 98

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
X2, everything Cookster said. It's probably getting hard to pull because water is freezing in the cylinders. Your first gas, use some Seafoam or isopropyl in to remove he rest of water from the system. Also, since it's sat, you may have a mouse house in both the exhaust or intake airbox.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Had two machines this year that I repaired with mouse nests in the air boxes. Both owners told me they started and ran for a little while and then died. Sucked the nest right through the carbs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts