Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(SOLVED)
I have 2 1998 zr580s with a battery and fuel injectors. they were sitting in a shed for almost 2 years now until a firend wanted to borrow them. i took them out, replaced the batterys, drained the old fuel and one started right up and ran great until the axle shatterd, long story. but the other will start up and idle low, then high, then it would steady at about 3000 rpms. as soon as you give it gas it revs down. Then when you let go it will rev up to 4000 rpms and move like an inch.

here are things i've already tried
  • checked cdi box, one red blink
  • swapped fuel injectors with ones from other snowmobile
  • swapped spark plugs from other snowmobile
  • recharged battery

Im at a loss of what to do.

EDIT: the fuel line conecting the fuel pump in the gas tank was all rotten and was only letting a bit of gas in it. i replaced the tubing and it worked flawlessly
thanks for all the help from everyone, it really helped me pinpoint the problem

Thanks- Mason

·
Registered
26,123 Posts
Welcome
Try removing the fuel pressure regulators and swap them.
What I have found is that over the years the Cat regulators diaphragm gets stiff and raises fuel pressure.
Which usually floods the motor at low RPM.
I have made up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator complete with Gauge!
I have found this to be THE easist way to fine tune the Cat EFI!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
that sounds like it would work, i did some searching and couldnt find a arcticat specific regulator, are they universal? how can i make/get one?

-edit: i can swap it for the one in the other snowmobile to see if it works, but i will still need one for the other snowmobile

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome
Try removing the fuel pressure regulators and swap them.
What I have found is that over the years the Cat regulators diaphragm gets stiff and raises fuel pressure.
Which usually floods the motor at low RPM.
I have made up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator complete with Gauge!
I have found this to be THE easist way to fine tune the Cat EFI!
I swaped the regulators, and it did the exact same thing. I even swaped the batterys and, nothing. still does the exact same thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts