Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Will my XLT motor fit inside a 1998 Polaris XC 700 chassis? If it take modification please let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
it should bolt in, but my question is why? the 700 is a WAY better powerplant than the XLT.....

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tripples have way more potential to build on. And its the motor I have. I don't have a 700 twin

·
Registered
24 Posts
ah i see, i belive they will bolt right in

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope it doesn't seam that way. The mounts dont switch over and the plate it came with the bolts don't line up on the motor. How do I fix this. I'm asking if this is more work than I should mess with or should I just buy a new motor.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there a aftermarket mounting plate I can buy?

·
Registered
24 Posts
interesting, i was of the understanding that it would work, i imagine you could take the mount plate for the twin and line the clutches up and mark that plate to drill it for the triple......just thinking out loud here

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thought of that. The mounting plate for the xc700 is too small for that. Since I have the tunnel and skid and extra 10 front end from this 700 maybe instead of swaping the motors I shouold swap the suspensions and track.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok heres some photos of what i'm working on. Would I have any problems what all needs changed over? drive sprocket? chain case? need more pics?

Attachments

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright. Looks like I would rather take the front and rear suspension off and put it in the XLT chassis. And sell the tunnel and rest of the parts I have. Its going to be too much work to put in a tripple motor. What should I be worried about when changing to the 136" track? the front suspension will be upgraded to extra 10. what to be concerned about on that too? I'm going to put the motor back in the xlt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the tie rods from the XC will be your biggest hangup, the XLT does not use the CRC steering like the XC chassis does, everything else will be a direct bolt in, use the XLT driveshaft with the suspension and track from the XC. the trailing arms and radius rods will bolt in too, but you will have to have new tie rods made because the XC is wider than the XLT

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cant I just use the tie rods from the crc stearing system. So the XLT chain case and drive shaft are fine to use just swap out track and skid? Note it has an upgraded 136 track on it. Or was this stock?

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nevermind about the tie rods. I would have to change the bars and everything and it looks like the oil tank is in the way. So what do you mean by "make" new tie rods?

·
Registered
24 Posts
121 was stock on the XC, a machine shop will be able to make longer tie rods for you

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I can get the guy in the shop next to me to machine some new ones for free. Nice. Now with the longer track do I need to swap over the chaincase and drive gears or can I use the xlt stock stuff.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the info. changing it out now. Got the motor back in and all clean. anyone need a tunnel? And I found out the original skid in the XLT was toasted on my last ride. All kinds of bent up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts