Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 1998 Ski Doo Formula III 700 triple ( havent even picked it up yet ) ... Im getting a great great deal on it and its very clean. Well here is what he told me, he tested the compression in all 3 cylinders and they were around 90 in each. However I went and took the sled for a ride, and it ran amazing. This thing couldnt keep the ski's down... and it started in 2 pulls. Could it be possible the compression is that low?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
my formula III 600 has 123 across all three cylinders.
not sure what the 700 should be, but prob close
to that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked it up...got it home, and tested the compression myself... 125 across the board SWEEEEEET. But here is the second issue... Im from New York... The sled was last registered by a guy in warsaw... he sold it to a guy ( who never registered it ) who then sold it the man i bought the sled from. Well, the registration was lost... How in the world can i get another registration. I do not even have the first/ last name or any contact information of the guy who registered it a year ago.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
good luck. iv'e sold sleds for parts because
i couldnt find anyprev owners brfore.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good luck. iv'e sold sleds for parts because
i couldnt find anyprev owners brfore.
I was terrible afraid of this..I must do something.. i refuse to let the machine go

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
hope u have better luck than me on this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So do I. There must be something that can be done

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have bought 3 sleds with no registration. Just a bill of sale. Sectarian of state charged me 10 Buck to do a background check on machines to make sure they weren't stolen and then issued new registration in my name. Each states different though ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bought 3 sleds with no registration. Just a bill of sale. Sectarian of state charged me 10 Buck to do a background check on machines to make sure they weren't stolen and then issued new registration in my name. Each states different though ...
guy i bought it from lost the bill of sale and the registration both...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys Im in serious desperation mode, I do not want to have wasted my money or time... I really want to ride this sled

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not to sure were your from ,or how they do things down where you are for regersting a snowmobile?They should be able to do a search on the ser.# & model for the sled & last reg. user for a fee.It might have to be done where you think the last time the sled was reg.State ,or province .It's worth a try!

·
88enticer
90 Posts
Dude I'm going through the same thing and I live in new York. First thing you need to go to the DMV and they have to run the vin. If that comes up clean your good. If they are nice enough they will tell you who the last registrant was even though there not allowed to they might. If you find out who the last registrant is write them a letter call them or go to their house and ask them nicely if they are willing to go to the DMV and get a copy of their transferrable registration because they sled is still technically in their name. It costs a $1 to get a copy. If the last registrant is not willing your pretty much screwed. There is this form however if you can't figure out who the last registrant is you fill it out and it is sent to Albany. This will take months to get back. Im going through the same thing except the last registrant was very nice and is helping me out And she is getting the copy of the transferrable for me. Its a pain I know but if you like sleds you'll do it lol
Hope this helps
Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude I'm going through the same thing and I live in new York. First thing you need to go to the DMV and they have to run the vin. If that comes up clean your good. If they are nice enough they will tell you who the last registrant was even though there not allowed to they might. If you find out who the last registrant is write them a letter call them or go to their house and ask them nicely if they are willing to go to the DMV and get a copy of their transferrable registration because they sled is still technically in their name. It costs a $1 to get a copy. If the last registrant is not willing your pretty much screwed. There is this form however if you can't figure out who the last registrant is you fill it out and it is sent to Albany. This will take months to get back. Im going through the same thing except the last registrant was very nice and is helping me out And she is getting the copy of the transferrable for me. Its a pain I know but if you like sleds you'll do it lol
Hope this helps
Andrew

So if i cant get ahold of a previous owner im 100% never going to be able to register the sled?

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i bought a sled from maine, a frend that was visiting family
brought it to me. never could get registration. in my inquiries
found out the young guy died and the sled was in his estate.
they wanted to come get the sled. got several letters from their
lawyers but finally stopped. sold sled for parts after a year.

i will never buy a sled without registration.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonderful...well, If I can't get ahold of the last owner... Now I have to either sell it or risk running it without registration. :dunno:

Such a nice sled :thumbsdown:

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
find a state that requires a bill of sale ie: MIchigan and register it for a day than bring that to NY and register it there. They require a valid registration thats all no issue if its an out of state registration.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
find a state that requires a bill of sale ie: MIchigan and register it for a day than bring that to NY and register it there. They require a valid registration thats all no issue if its an out of state registration.
I dont have a bill of sale..as I do not have the previous registrants name

1 - 20 of 30 Posts