Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Polaris Indy classic touring that has a problem that I don’t know how to fix. This is my first sled and I don’t know much about them. But I had it running and I was riding it and it got stuck so I lifted up the back of the sled to try and maneuver it and it just stalled. I haven’t been able to get it started since. Thought it might be flooded but took out the spark plugs and torched them to dry them off. Still nothing. I don’t know what is wrong

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sometimes when plugs get wet it's hard to get them to work again. A new sled will have some bugs. If it doesn't start on the first crank when warm then something is out of whack. I am working on a new to me Ultra that is blubbery at slow speeds (I know they all are). The owner says the carbs were just cleaned perfectly. When I pick up the back of the sled the idle dies down. It sounds like the float level is too high to me. I guess I'll have to re-check somebody else's work. It is weird that your sled died when you picked up the back end. I would try some new plugs and try to get it started as is and evaluate from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you look in the tank to see if maybe the filter broke off and now the fuel line might be floating. On the inside of the fuel tank ??? Maybe ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got new plugs and still nothing. How do I know if the filter broke off in the tank? When I look into the tank what would I see? Do you think I should take the carbs out and clean them? Again, I'm new to snowmobiles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can look inside the gas tank with a flash light and see the pick up hose. If it has a pinhole that you can't see it will run normally with over a half tank of gas to keep the fuel line submerged. If your gas level is low it could be a fuel pick up problem. It's hard to tell when new plugs are wet. If it's flooding, it would be easier to tell with used plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your fuel filter, its normally white and sits behind the airbox, has two rubber hoses connected on each side, it could be plugged, from you lifting the rear of sled, you may have shook up a bunch of stuff that's inside the tank, then got sucked up and clogged the filter,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice I’ll have to check that. I had my mechanical friend take a look at it and we took out the carbs and I think they need fixing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the previous owner is around it might be worth asking if there are some tricks to know about the sled. Like when to pull the choke, and when to release it, or if it needs some throttling to start. That kind of things.

(Checking the carburetors is probably a good idea too.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts