Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1998 phazer mountain lite and it needs some work. Runs pretty decent, needs a carb clean. No big deal. However, I need a few other parts for it and I was wondering if anyone who has one or knows someone with one that might be able to point me into the right direction. I need decals, mainly for the hood, a new hood, a whole headlight fairing, and a speedo and tach. My current faring or shield is faded and bent up pretty bad, and the speedo/tach meter is gone, with the wires cut towards the bottom. Also has electric start, but he says it's not hooked up. Has a battery and a starter, so must just not have wiring. Other than that, she's a solid sled.
Now for some real questions... How many of these mountain lites in the wedge style were made? I know they're pretty rare, because I've only ever seen one other one in person before. Also, there's a 5.4.3.2.1 on the side, and it looks like a factory decal. Wondering what that means. I have yet to look up the vin, so I'll be able to find out a little more about it once I do that. Anyways, if anyone knows anything about these sleds, let me know! I'm pretty familiar with the phazer's, I've had 2 wedge style ones before this, and I currently have a 99 regular phazer I bought new. Let me know anything you know about these sleds, I'd love to hear it. Here's some pics:

·
Registered
331 Posts
It just depends on what side of the Mississippi river you are on. They are all over the place here in the west.

The decal on the side is something that a previous owner put on.

For the other parts, Hay Days if you are close enough. They have a huge swap meet. If not, start checking E Bay. Don't lock you search into the mountain lite. The difference between the mountain sled and the non mountain are the longer track/skid, gearing, carb jetting and clutch settings. The bodywork is the same.

The decals will be the hard part. The site I have used on other sleds does not carry Yamaha.

Good luck and have fun getting her ready for the upcoming season!

·
Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I did some more research, and found that everything from a phazer 2 will fit my front end, so I'm all set with that. Like you said, decals are going to be the hard part. What I think I'll do it have someone paint my plastics, and then get someone to airbrush the decals on there, instead of sticker decals. Hopefully make it look better and last longer. Just a lot of money to get that done. As for where I'm on the east of the Mississippi, so these things are super rare around here. I've only ever seen one other phazer mountain lite around here and it was in pieces. I found that phazer 2s on marketplace are somewhat abundant around here, so parts aren't too hard to find. I've heard of hay days, but Minnesota is a good bit away from Maine. I had no idea that the carbs were jetted differently on these mountain lites, which is awesome! I knew the gearing was lower and clutches were tuned differently, but I'm glad I know that, because I was about to buy some bigger jets for it, and now I don't have to 😁. I appreciate all of the information, thank you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have another question.... I'm looking for nice plastics for her, and she's a 98 phazer 2, but most of the plastics are from like 1986-93. Would all phaser 2 panels fit, or would I have to get 93 and up? And would an older hood fit on my current plastics? I have a good deal on one, and that's the most important piece I need, so would it work?

·
Registered
26,325 Posts
Welcome
Your Phazer is just a stock with a 136 track!
I most certainly would be looking into the jetting and go UP if needed!
People come to Hay Days from Europe even!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll definitely look into the jetting. Going to start tearing her apart this week, so when I get the carbs off, I'll throw some bigger jets in. Any idea what the biggest jets I could throw in would be? I have a stock pipe on now but a DG pipe laying around I could throw on too. What would be the biggest I could throw on with a stock pipe and the DG pipe? Also, would gearing down be a good idea, or is stock good? Don't know if anyone has ever ridden one, but I haven't and we've got no snow so I have to wait until next year to really test her out.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
DG pipes are the lowest of the low. That stock pipe is a better option. DG never has the jettings right and the quality ugh. I wouldn't put a DG product on anything, a quad, dirt bike and hell no on a snowmobile!

KC can tell you how to do the Yamaha Exhaust modifications to the stock oem exhaust and it works.

·
Registered
26,325 Posts
Do yourself a favor
You do not live in the mountains right?
If you do go you will have to rejet!
Just consider this a standard Phazer in all respects!
So go threw it all and the carbs as if it were a regular Phazer
The only rejeting may be to increase the main jets one size larger than STOCK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts