Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a problem with the clutch and belt on my 1998 mxz 670. the sled runs fine, but it almost seems like the belt is sticking. its not letting the sled rev up like it supposed to before the clutch engages, the clutch should engage at about 4000rpm, but its engaging around 2000rpm. it started doing this about halfway through a ride, and cant seem to figure out why its doing it, whe the sled is idling, if there is nothing on the ground or no resistance for the sled to move, it will slowly creep ahead at idle...just wondering if there is a reason why this would be happening.....could the clutch not be opening all the way? just looking for some responses and some things to try

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a possibility that the weights inside the clutch might be stuck....
if you turn the drive clutch by hand you should hear a clicking or tapping sound... that is the sound of the weights inside the clutch... if they are stuck then you would have to take it apart for further diagnosis.... Rebuilding a drive clutch is somewhat complicated so i recommend you do as much reasearch as possible or send it in to someone familier whit clutches

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
may have a broke spring in your primary. or froze weights but since it happened mid ride im gonna assume its not the weights.

·
Break out the duct tape..
576 Posts
I would clean the clutch up and check for damaged or worn parts.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Remove the belt and see if there is resistance when you try to close the primary by hand. If there is none, or it has play, it probably needs help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts