Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well well i have the infamous top end bog on my 580 efi. It will run great for about 40 miles then when u hit the gas it will go up to 7000 rpm and then just stay there. I go ahead and pull the plugs and they are BLACK.It runs so rich that the excess gas is spitting out of the exhaust and dripping down the cylinder. I change the plugs and it runs like a champ. Might light is bright and handwarmers work excellent so i dont think its the stator. What could it be ?

·
Registered
385 Posts
580 efi.....Great when they work, but there's some problems with them. My old 97 ZR 580 EFI had the same type of issues, I'd start with a couple of cans of injector cleaner, use the most expensive stuff you can buy at Napa, seems to work pretty well. Another problem could be throttle position sensor, but they are about $300. Also, check your ground wires. a loose one can cause some strange problems with efi. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
btw it has only 3000 miles on it ... im gonna check it out tonight. I see alot of people having this issue with 580s on other message boards.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My 97 ZR580 had real bad electrical problems when it was new. The dealer finally replaced the stator and it didn't act up again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how do i tell if the stator is bad ? Im runnning injector cleaner through it tonight to see if thats the problem.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The stator has a power/lighting coil and an ignition coil. So even if the lights work well, the ignition coil could be failing. Check the Arctic Cat section for rgoers post on no spark 440. That goes into how to test it a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts