Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 vmax xtc 600. The guy i bought it from said the it ran really rich and fouled plugs when the temp got up the 30's. He said that he pre-mixed the fuel to prevent this. My concern is that not having oil in the oil injection system will starve crank bearings. will this happen? I am in the process of taking the carbs off and cleaning them out as well as making sure i am jetted correctly. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
was the injection deleted or are you running premix and injection? too much oil can create a lean burndown. there were proper procedures for adjusting the oil pump and cable. excessive oil consumption was a concern on some 97 sleds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the oil injection system is intact. the guy just had problems with it running fat so he mixed the oil in the fuel. dont ask me why. i am taking sled back to the way it is supposed to be. does the oil system have lines direct to the crank bearings?. thanks for your help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks yamadad now i have one other question can i pinch off the oil lines that feed the carbs but let the others flow long enough to run the mix gas out of the sled. then unpinch the lines? also i assume the motor mount bolts are metric. Yes? I knew i would find someone with some good info here. my local dealer only wants to talk about buying a new one. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i have never personally tried that method. i would lean more towards draining the fuel tank and starting with fresh fuel. there wont be that much pre-mixed fuel left to make a difference. worst case maybe an oil fouled plug or two.
every nut and bolt on your sled is metric.
if the oil tank has been ran dry, be sure and gravity bleed the lines and the pump before starting it up. its a messy job but it has to be done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yamadad,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I need to do some work tuning the tm 36 carbs on my sled is there a source somewhere to use as reference so i dont screw it up

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
what do you need to know about the carbs? i have tuning charts for those sleds. just need to know the apprx elevation your riding at and the first three digits of the vin.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
stock setting 330-1600' would have been:
main jets 151.3
pilot jets #45
fuel screw 1 1/2 turns out
needle in postion #2

for 1600-3300:
main jets 148.8
needle at 1.5
all other settings the same as above

yamaha tends to error a bit on the rich side and the 148.8's are half size and spendy. 147.5's would probably suit your needs and are alot cheaper and easier to come by.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yamadad,
thanks for the help. I tracked down a couple of 147.5's threw them in and it made a huge difference. Sled runs great now. it had 151.5's in it before. It has been two weeks and I have not had a chance to get out. but i know i have it dialed in. Thanks for your help. Next project is to go from a 121 to a 136 track. any suggestions on the process for that one.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
best kit i have ever installed comes from tom hartman, hartmaninc.com. i have used his kits on 8 or so sleds. i have used mtn performance kits twice and was not as happy with the fit and finish and mtn perf has zero customer service skills not to mention lack of there own product knowledge.

there are other options depending on your abilities and resources, but for ease and convenience, you cant beat a kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.