Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1997 Ultra Tour in excellent condition. It only has 380 miles on it and comes with a 2 place covered Bear Cat Trailer. What should I be looking to spend for this combination? Anything I should look for on a Sled with this low of miles. My wife and I are just getting into snowmobiling after not having ridden for 20 years.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what i hear that model was troublesome.But,with only 380 miles you should be o.k.I should also warn you,that's alot of power for someone who hasn't been snowmobling for 20 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Polaris Man,
Thanks for the response. Do you know what might have been troublesome about the 1997 Ultra Tour? Thanks for the warning about the power. Just about anything these days will have that problem! The last sled I rode was a Yamaha 396.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's known for melting pistons.
If i could make a few suggestions...
Polaris XLT touring,500 or 600 Classic touring.
Yamaha Venture,500 fan.600 0r 700 liquid.
Ski-doo Grand touring 580.
These are all very reliable engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the same sled last week, but mine needs a bit of TLC. I believe the Touring 680s had the smaller 34MM carbs, but haven't really checked mine yet. Anyway, the power would be down a bit from the regular SP wedgie single pipe and way down compared to the SPX triple pipes. Ride it if you can and try it out as I can't believe it only has 380 miles after all these years. It was the top of the line in '97. I had a brand new '97 Classic 500 Touring. It was OK and is fine if you're just cruising around. It's a bit lighter as well. Haven't heard of any melting pistons on the Ultras though except when they piped the wedgie 680SPs. I did that as well back in '98 and '99. Best of luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts