Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 skidoo formula sl 500. I was driving it then pulled the tether cord put the tether cord back in and it wouldn't start then i realized it didn't have spark. found out it was the cdi box but then it still wouldn't start. it didn't seem like it had enough spark. so I replaced the voltage regulator which fixed that issue but it still won't start. it has compression, the carbs were recently cleaned, but it seems like it is dumping gas in the cylinder. is the float stuck? I can't get it running. when I crank it over the first few times it will pop but after that it doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Try holding the throttle wide open and pull on it about 5-6 times. Does it pop at all?

For future reference, the Voltage regulator can have an effect on the spark, but it is rare. The circuit the VR is on is separate from the ignition. I would suspect the spark plug caps/wires. You can unscrew the cap from each wire and then trim back about 1/8" and put the cap back on.

Might be time to go through the carbs and clean them. Could be some debris in the needle/seat area holding a float open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts