Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my brother has an air cooled 1997 ski-doo formula sl 500. The problem is that every time he goes riding, if he rips around a lot and is constantly on the throttle perty hard then the sled just stalls out. It almost seems like it can't pump gas fast enough. But when he rides slower( 45 mph or less)its fine. Also when it does stall out it bogs down and sometimes he can choke it then it keeps going. But most times it stalls out and quits cold turkey. Does anybody know what the problem might be. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Check for gas tank vent line obstruction. Might be pinched somewhere and allowing just enough air into the tank.

While riding, he could try loosening the gas cap to see if it comes back alive.

If that isn't it, could be water in the gas too. water freezes and obstructs the fuel flow. Had a machine that ran great for the first 30 minutes out of the heated garage. Then it would fall flat on its face. Spent a lot of a time on that one because I would pull the machine back into the garage and let it warm up before I'd work on it. The ice would melt and look normal. The last time I rode it and it fell on its face again, I pulled into the garage and immediately took the carbs apart. All three carbs had a slushy in the float bowl. Drained the tank, drained the pump, emptied the carbs, filled back up with good gas and a shot of Iso-heet to just make sure and it ran great after that. I sold it shortly after that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,i drained all the fuel, ther was quite a bit of water in the tank so im guessing that was my problem. When i had the tank empty i started the sled till it ran completely out of gas just to burn all the fuel, then i put fresh gas in with a bit of iso-heet. But when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start,so i tried dumping gas into the plugs then it started fine and pumped its own gas. But then it started running on one plug only. The other one quit firing. Put new plugs in now it goes from both plugs firing to 1 plug firing ? seemed to help to wiggle the wires that go to the magneto but still didn't make em both fire

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
If the same one is losing spark, it points to a cap or wire issue. Unscrew the spark plug cap and trim back 1/8” and screw the cap back on. The caps are not very expensive so might even just replace them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts