Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to snowmobiling. My friend just gave me two Polaris sleds for free. They were sitting for 15 years. I have them both running very well right now. The problem I have is that the primary clutch does not seem to move to grab the belt. Could it just be locked up from sitting? Is there an easy way to fix that. I’ve tried to do some research, and it seems like a lot of people are removing that clutch and either replacing it or rebuilding it. Because of the age of my sleds I’m trying to minimize the amount of money I’m putting into it. Is there an easy way to free up this clutch? Is there something else that might be wrong that I’m over looking. The other sled he gave me is a 1994 Polaris XLT special 580, that has the same problem. Other than this problem the sleds are in great shape for their age and have relatively low miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
What RPM is the engine running? Those triples have to spin pretty fast to get the clutch to engage.

Sometimes a good cleaning is necessary, especially if the movable sheave is sticky. First thing I would do is remove the primary and then remove the cover to clean things up as much as possible. There are some good tips in the "how to" section of the forum. Also look on youtube, there are a bunch of videos showing how to remove and clean those as well.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What RPM is the engine running? Those triples have to spin pretty fast to get the clutch to engage.

Sometimes a good cleaning is necessary, especially if the movable sheave is sticky. First thing I would do is remove the primary and then remove the cover to clean things up as much as possible. There are some good tips in the "how to" section of the forum. Also look on youtube, there are a bunch of videos showing how to remove and clean those as well.

thank you very much for the information. I’ll try a higher rpm first, but I think I will need to pull them and clean them. The information is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I would also replace the springs in them as well with them sitting that old and god knows when or IF they were ever replaced. Those are not expensive 20-30 bucks a piece. I would also yank apart the secondary clutch and replace the buttons and the spring in there as well. Those buttons are a wear item and tend to wear out between 1500-2000 miles on those and they get brittle as they get older as well I have found at least the ones from Polaris and cheap aftermarket ones do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also replace the springs in them as well with them sitting that old and god knows when or IF they were ever replaced. Those are not expensive 20-30 bucks a piece. I would also yank apart the secondary clutch and replace the buttons and the spring in there as well. Those buttons are a wear item and tend to wear out between 1500-2000 miles on those and they get brittle as they get older as well I have found at least the ones from Polaris and cheap aftermarket ones do.
Thank you very much for the information!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much for the information. I’ll try a higher rpm first, but I think I will need to pull them and clean them. The information is greatly appreciated!
BC Dan and Coolhand, thanks so much for the info. I ended up taking off the cover of the primary, taking out the spring and cleaning everything up. It moved much more freely after. I have to say the advice about a higher rpm on this 600 triple was spot on. It engages the clutch at a much higher rpm than I would have ever thought. It works flawlessly with the track elevated. I’m going to do the same thing as far as cleaning up the other nearly identical sled. The advice you both gave was perfect and I truly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I use a dry graphite spray on the primary clutch parts i.e the buttons, weights and what not. Some do some don't but I buy it for 5-8 bucks a can vs the Comet Clutch Lube which is 18-25 and is the same stuff just not a name brand on it.

You won't know until it is on the ground if they are really okay to go or not. Have had clutches work fine on the stand put them on the ground...nothing. Make sure you replace the belt as well with a new one that will help it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts