Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 ultra spx se and i bought it from a guy for $700 hoping it was a good deal if i rebuild it...the guy blew it up in 2004 and it say under the cover in a shed since 2 days ago when i picked it up..the previouse owner already took the middle jug and head and stuff off all thats left is the piston on the rod...the jug and piston are shot my first question is can i put 3 new piston and rings in and rebore and hone the center cylinder only? the other cyl.s are good.. my next question i have is i noticed when the guy took it apart he must not have shop vacuumed the coolant out since the crankcase is about half full...is my botom end junk since that stuff ben in there since 2004? also the squirrels and mice have been snooping in there and none of the wires are eaten but theres lots of organic small materials all over and in the case and stuff...what is the best way to flush all that sh..t out of there without taking motor out..if my motor not already junk...please i need some tips on what i should do to make this engine worthy of running again..

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only problem with a rebuild for bottom end is dont you have to press the crank apart to put new bearings in?

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
You would need to split the case, and then use a gear/bearing puller to get the old bearings off. To put new ones on, I believe they go on fairly easy if you heat them up slightly first. You will be fine to bore just one cylinder to get scoring or whatever out of it. My cousin had it done with his XCR and there's no issues at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but its a triple how do i get the bearings off the middle cause the wieghts are in the way woouldnt you have to pres the crank apart to get at the middle bearings?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would lean towards finding another engine somewhere, I would say that engine in there now is probably junk since its been open to the elements and rust has probably settled in ( the person that took it apart probably had no intention or forethought of running/rebuilding it again)

I would pull the engine take the sled to the car wash, tilt it on its side and wash all the sh.....t out or use a garden hose with a bucket of hot soapy water with a brush if there is one available and it isnt frozen.

Find another piston meltdown/blown engine and look into swapping your(hopefully good) junk spare parts engine cylinders and pistons into it ( if there interchangeable)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tink im gonna pull whole motor out and see what kinda junks in the bottom to wash out and imma split the case and see what the damage is...if its bad(which most likely it is) i might go ahead and see what ken3296 has for a block and maybe go tat route or get a block off ebay

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just want to say thanks again for the block ken3296..it really helps me out a TON... i hope everything works out when putting this motor together...thanks ken for the block :)))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts