Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
9kidsgek
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have read as many posts as I can but still can't get this sled to run although I had it running. Here is my story:
Cleaned carbs and got the sled running. It was actually running quite well. It sat for a few weeks and then I took it out. It ran for about 2 minutes then quit. Couldn't start it, although it did start with starter fluid and still does, then quits. I believe it got water in the fuel tank because the bulb on the gas cap was gone and it rained hard here in Utah. I also saw condensation on the spark plugs and separated gas/water when I siphoned gas. I tried heet which didn't work.
Here is what I have done since the problem:
Cleaned carbs again...really good...although they were clean when I tried cleaning them this second time
Drained gas from tank, lines, and carbs. Put in new gas.
New spark plugs
Took two drain plugs out of front of engine to drain excess gas. Put plugs back in

I can now start it just fine with starter fluid, and I have spark, but then it quits. I also have gas flowing because the floats are full each time I clean the carbs. Fuel filter lets plenty of gas through. All jets are clean as far as I can tell (air blows through all of them)

One thing I am not clear on is the throttle screw and air screw settings. Could this be the problem? (Keihin PWK K90A AKI or 1 5 carbs)
1. Where should the air screw be set? I believe the air screw should be out 1 turn according to the manual (I am in Utah and run the machine usually at 8000-9000 ft but run it at 5000 ft also).
2. Where should the throttle screw be set? I don't have a tool to test, but I believe when it was running right the throttle screw was 2 1/2 turns out. Does that sound right?

What else might be causing the problem?
I did not check compression but assume it is OK if starter fluid starts it.
I will also admit I didn't do something right but let's just assume the carbs are clean.
Thanks in advance!
David

·
Administrator
18,889 Posts
Air screw one turn out, throttle slide stops should be set equally to get you the RPM you want at idle.

Pull the fuel line from the carbs and put the end in a container. Pull the rope and see what kind of fuel you are getting. You should get a bit of fuel on each pull of the rope.

When you had the carbs out, did you pull the main and pilot jets? If those are clogged, the sled won't run. Does the sled continue to run as long as you spray starting fluid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have read as many posts as I can but still can't get this sled to run although I had it running. Here is my story:
Cleaned carbs and got the sled running. It was actually running quite well. It sat for a few weeks and then I took it out. It ran for about 2 minutes then quit. Couldn't start it, although it did start with starter fluid and still does, then quits. I believe it got water in the fuel tank because the bulb on the gas cap was gone and it rained hard here in Utah. I also saw condensation on the spark plugs and separated gas/water when I siphoned gas. I tried heet which didn't work.
Here is what I have done since the problem:
Cleaned carbs again...really good...although they were clean when I tried cleaning them this second time
Drained gas from tank, lines, and carbs. Put in new gas.
New spark plugs
Took two drain plugs out of front of engine to drain excess gas. Put plugs back in

I can now start it just fine with starter fluid, and I have spark, but then it quits. I also have gas flowing because the floats are full each time I clean the carbs. Fuel filter lets plenty of gas through. All jets are clean as far as I can tell (air blows through all of them)

One thing I am not clear on is the throttle screw and air screw settings. Could this be the problem? (Keihin PWK K90A AKI or 1 5 carbs)
1. Where should the air screw be set? I believe the air screw should be out 1 turn according to the manual (I am in Utah and run the machine usually at 8000-9000 ft but run it at 5000 ft also).
2. Where should the throttle screw be set? I don't have a tool to test, but I believe when it was running right the throttle screw was 2 1/2 turns out. Does that sound right?

What else might be causing the problem?
I did not check compression but assume it is OK if starter fluid starts it.
I will also admit I didn't do something right but let's just assume the carbs are clean.
Thanks in advance!
David
Idle circuit dark brown and DRY👍😎

1 - 4 of 4 Posts