Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some help trouble shooting this sled. I picked it up this sled up after ten years of sitting. The sled has 861 miles on it only. So far I have installed a new electric full pump, cleaned injectors and fuel rail. Rebuilt the starter. Changed plugs a few time and nothing.

I check to make sure injectors are working. I pulled the injectors with fuel rail out and watch as I turn over motor and they do spray but very little. Only way I can get this thing fire is by putting tea spoon of gas in each spark plug and starting it up. It starts very rough and then I have to rev it to keep it going. Once I release throttle it dies. I have checked the boots for cracks thinking I had a vacuum leak but nothing there. I have read forums but am new to efi sleds. There no codes on the computer. I get one red flash as I turn the key it goes off and stays off. Any ideas or thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I treid it again put teasspoon of gas in the spark plug whole and it started very rough had to play with throttle will not stay running if I don;t keep throttle up. Smoke like hell.
I could really use some help with this.

Ok I talked to the arctic cat dealer. he is telling me it must be flooded with oil and it might take an hour or so to burn it off.

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all the views this forum gets I thought someone might have an answer.

Also does anyone know the nutt size on the boots. I tried 1/2 inch to large tried 7/6 to small. tried 13 and 12 mil still doesn't fit. I was going to take boots of and see if thats part of the problem!

Again thanks for any help it much appreciated! Yes I want to get it on the trail it snowing out tonight and supposed to get another 4 to 5 saturday night!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Well there are a few poss. Could be low compression, too high of fuel presure, sheered timing key, plugged exhaust?

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Motor has 861 miles on it period. The compression is great. After sitting for ten years would oil from the oil tank leak into the crank case? Just trying to figure why it smokes so much when i start it up. Will bad gas cause it not to idel?

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
You did remove ALL the old gas before you started on this right? I use an electric fuel pump to remove mine. Begine with fresh prem and Sea Foam.

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed as much as possible an filled it up with 92 octane. I am not sure what octan was needed for this motor so i use hiest i can fine. It still doesn't start on it own. I still have to put gas into the spark plugs to get it going. And still no idel. I think I am going to take aprt the throtle bodies tonight and make sure the boots are not dry rotted and have no leaks. Someone saying it could be a crank case gasket leak as well. I am not sure what that has to do with the intake charge? Anything else I should look for?

I be back in the garage tonight again thanks for all your help!

Thanks

·
"Motor Head"
103 Posts
Did you check the fuel filter ?..Dry rotted boots wouldn't have nothing to do with a tiny amount of fuel shooting out the injectors (as in it's NOT enough to make the sled run) So I'm not the smartest fella in the world but I would start there ?.. Until those injectors SRAY fuel it just won't run right !... So what is it ?... Do you have a fully charged battery, OK so we know you get some fuel right ?... Well sitting ten years I first would look at having FRESH fuel, second I would look at fuel pressure (do you have the required amount?) If you find it's low and you said you put a new pump on it, well then it would come down to fuel filter (stopped up) or fuel regulator hung open ?... The other thing I can think of pull the injectors after all the other test's and soak them over night in a can with injection cleaner. Good luck hope this helped ?

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no way of checking fuel pressure yet? When I replaced the pump I replace the whole esssembly. The in tank filters are new and clean.

The fuel injectors I them over to arctic cat to check and cleaned. There in check and pressure tested after cleaning.

I am going to the auto parts store need to know do i check the pressure before or after regulator?

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok guys thanks for the help it is appreciated. fuel pressure is good at 38 psi cold.

New problem I had it running now while holding throttle down. I guess it just needed to be ran since sitting so long.

New problem some times it idle's ok still does not idle all time with out holding thumb throttl .and other time something weird happens it just start reving like there no tommorow so I have to hit the kill switch? Do I need to take the throttle bodies a part and check for anything? Not sure exactly how the butterflies work on this type of set up. Is it the same as a carb as it open or is there two seperate flaps?

Thanks again for the help

Btw i downloaded the 500 page manuel good reading!

·
Grudman
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It more like it at idle and then all of a sudden it like some presses the throttle to wide open and it revs really high and stays there until i kill it.

Also to add the throttle is back in the closed position.

I am affraid to ride it! What would cause this ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts