Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am utilizing the suspension from a 97 VMAX 700 for a custom suspension upgrade and need some assistance with some specific mounting dimensions. Since the suspension assembly was purchased on E-Bay I do not have access to the donor sled. I have provided the Yamaha OEM part #, a cross reference list of other models the suspension was used on and a picture detailing the dimensions needed. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

--- REAR FRAME COMP.
This Yamaha 8CR-21950-08-00 REAR FRAME COMP. part is also used on these models and components:

1998 MM600PB - MOUNTAIN MAX 600 FRAME
1998 MM700PB - MOUNTAIN MAX 700 FRAME
1998 VT500B - VENTURE 500 FRAME
1998 VT600B - VENTURE 600 FRAME
1998 VT700B - VENTURE 700 FRAME
1998 VX500XTB - VMAX 500 XT FRAME
1998 VX500XTCB - V-MAX (Yamaha Black) FRAME
1998 VX500XTCDB - VMAX 500 XTC DELUXE (ELEC START) FRAME
1998 VX500XTRB - VMAX 500 XTR (ELEC START+REVERSE) FRAME
1998 VX600SXB - VMAX 600 SX FRAME
1998 VX600SXSB - VMAX 600 SXS (OHLINS FR SHOCKS) FRAME
1998 VX600XTB - VMAX 600 XT FRAME
1998 VX600XTCB - VMAX 600 XTC FRAME
1998 VX600XTCDB - VMAX 600 XTC DELUXE (ELEC START) FRAME
1998 VX600XTRB - VMAX 600 XTR (ELEC START+REVERSE) FRAME
1998 VX700SXB - VMAX 700 SX FRAME
1998 VX700SXSB - VMAX 700 SXS (OHLINS FR SHOCKS) FRAME
1998 VX700XTB - VMAX 700 XT FRAME
1998 VX700XTCB - VMAX 700 XTC FRAME
1998 VX700XTCDB - VMAX 700 XTC DELUXE (ELEC START) FRAME
1998 VX700XTCPB - VMAX 700 XTCP (PLASTIC SKI, 1.5"TRACK FRAME

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
what sled are you putting the skid into?

on your picture, you do not want the the dimensions from the ground to those points, you need the dimensions from the inside of the tunnel down.

i have a 98 mtn max sitting here that someone cooked the engine due to a ack of coolant. happy to pull some measures if its a compatable sled being a 136 vs the 121.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is all custom, fabricating a custom tunnel too. Sure that would be great, but could you also include the measurements from the bottom of the up as well, along with the ones you mentioned from the tunnel down.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
keep in mind that track lug height will obscure the measures from the ground up as well as shock settings and condition of shocks, how saturated the seat is and so on.

also, i think the mounting points were different at the center and rear due to the longer rails on the 136 vs the 121 on the skid your transplanting.

what are you shooting for for an end result with this skid, maybe i have additional info that could help. track length and sled its going in.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
center to center between the 2 shafts is apprx 15 1/2".

center shaft from inside top of tunnel down is 4 3/4", ground up is 14 1/2".

rear shaft from inside top of tunnel down is 7 1/4". ground up is 13".

again, these are from a mtn sled and the mounting points are different than the short track sleds, especially the tunnel down measures, probably a good 1/2".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My whole project is focusing on a snowhawk type of sled. I am fabricating the entire frame and tunnel assembly, similar to the commercially available Timbersled units. The track length is 121. New image attached and marked up. I can clearly see where the bump stops are located on the lower portion of the suspension and understand that there is one fixed mounting location, pivot, at the front of the suspension track. I am unclear as to the correct way in which the rear shock must operate as it is compressed. As the suspension compresses does the wishbone push forward under the forward most shock mount, hence causing the front mounting point to rotate clockwise , so that as it bottoms out it contacts the bump stop? The rear mounting point (large boggie wheel) obviously moves in an arc to hit it's corresponding bump stop at full compression. The current track measures 3/4", which I believe was stock on this particular unit. All of the sleds that I have looked at it appears to me that the top and (obviously) the bottom of the track are on parallel planes. Approximately how much suspension travel do these sleds have?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i couldnt read what was in the picture and i am not sure i am fully understanding your question.

if you were to take a piece of flat stock and mount the rear pivot mount to the center pivot mount at the specified distance (15 1/2"), you may get a better visual as to whats taking place. the control rods at the rear also come into play at the point where it compresses.

perhaps a copy of the pro-action tuning manual will aid in understanding. there were some free copies on video floating around the web.

the sx had 8" of rear travel while the mtn max has 11.5.

nice work by the way. looks like a fun project. hopefully it all works out and is fun to ride as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.