Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys my buddy is picking up a 1996zr580efi on sunday and we are wondering if there is anything scarey about this model. I guess the sled is in great shape it just hasnt been used in a couple years. just ridden 1 or 2 times a year. it does need a new bettery but according to the guy he is buying from that is all it needs. we wont be able to see it until sunday and we just need to know what to look out for. I am not familiar with efi sleds at all so just concerned I wont be able to help him as much as i would like to. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Thanks
joe

·
Registered
26,194 Posts
The 580 EFI is a very good motor. The one thing I have done several times, is rework the battery box and use a lawn mower battery! About the only thing is the suspenssion, the 97 is a BETTER sled all the way around (battery less and ETT suspension)!
So what is he asking? $750?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sled is near mint condition i guess! and he is only paying 700 for it. I figure that this is a pretty good deal considering that they are going for around 12-1500 around here. We are scheduled to pick it up at nood tomorrow and are super excited. What and how did you rework the battery box? And is there a way to find out if the cpu is throwing out codes? I have heard that there is a little light that will be blinking randomly if there are any faults. Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing more replies!
Joe

·
Registered
259 Posts
Check the compression and make sure its 115+ psi
Check it over real good front to back, nothing worse than it breaking down out in the snow.
Check and restock the tool kit, extra plugs and belt
A good battery is a must for these sleds or you will run into issues but other than that they start 3rd pull every time and run smooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts