Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have searched a bit on this board and have found a few people with issues with this type of sled but I was wondering something.

I found an add for a 1996 zr 580 efi with 2600 miles for sale cheap, but all it said was it has electrical problems. What are the most common types of problems these sleds have? I'm pretty handy and have pulled motors in sleds before / rebuilt them but haven't done much with efi sleds.

Also, are all 96's battery controlled efi? (I believe they are from some posts i've read but i'm not 100% sure)

Thanks, and I think i'm going to snag it as long as electric problems dont spell disaster witht his sled.

-Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine runs good but the battery issue is annoying, and i beleive the 96 are all batteried efi, but i am not 100 % so dont quote me, but either way good luck if u do purchase it :)

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Yes, needs the battery to run.
Must be in good condition to run well.
Some have had stator issues, but they can be rebuilt better than new for a reasonable price.

Pro's, no need to rejet for temp or elevations changes.
Easier/more reliable starting and can get better mileage than carbed.
You can also just add some injector cleaner on occasion to improve performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My buddy had a 95 ext 580 efi and he didnt have any problems with it but it was hard on fuel and wasnt all that fast I had a 93 zr 440 and would smoke him. but otherwise gas was an issue good luck.

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
+1 on the seafoam.

When using other additives you have to be careful. The added ethanol in them will lean out your fuel mixture to much..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts