Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchesed 2 snowmobiles 1996 z440 and a 1994 cougar 550.
I was riding the z440 hard (70+) and it started smelling hot so I shut it off and let it cool for a little bit. When i started it up it sounded weird and it sputterd and died. It lost spark in one cylinder and would run for a little bit but would quit. We got to looking at it and the air intake hose to the carborator was loose so I think a number of things could of happened. It could have sucked up snow in to the engine, it could have over heated, or something with the oil, but anyway, it locked up and I don't know what I'll need to do. Please let me know. I will take any comments. Please help me. I want to do it as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry haven't had time with the holidays to get it in the garage. When I do get it apart how do I know what happend? I am kind of new to having snowmobiles. We had a 75' cheetah and a 73' panther that we tinkered around with but other than that we have really never had any snowmobiles. I am going to need to know what to replace how to do it and every thing I need. Thanks Guys.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's liquid cooled and it was pretty cold that day that's one of the reasons I am stumped. Like I said the air intake hose is very loose so I am leaning more to it got snow sucked into the carb.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Snow ingestion would not make it smell hot, it would just quit.
Over heating is likely due to either a failed water pump or an air bubble in the system.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
You would have to get the engine running again and check to see if the coolant is circulating. The water pump is gear driven from the center of the crank.
If there is evidence that the coolant is circulating at the the engine, then it is likely an air bubble (air locked, rear exchanger will not get warm).
To fix this, get the front of the sled up higher than the rear exchanger and run it till the air is out, topping off as needed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you are low on the diagnosis end of things but can turn a wrench I've tripped on a lot of low mileage 440 motors for a pretty good price. I would still take apart that motor and report back what you find so we can help you make sure it doesn't happen again - but at least it would save you the headache and loss of riding time trying to learn it all at once.

This method however will likely (unless it ruined a lot inside that motor) cost you a few hundred more then rebuilding - but again this is a convenience thing. Pull old out - drop the new in.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just went out there and took the top of the cylider off and there was plenty of coolant in there but the piston looked very brown and burned and there was two 1/8 inch chips out of it and meatal filings all over. I am going to go back out and look. Do they have a sleeve? By the way it is actually a 1997 ZL440 model sorry I was looking at the MFG date.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The loose intake boot caused that cylinder to run lean so you fried that piston. Chances are you took out the ring on the exhaust side and have scarred the jug. You will need to remove that jug and piston and more then likely be replacing piston, rings and probably a used jug that is honed out at the very least.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't know where you are at location wise but those 440 jugs are all over the place. you can usually pick one up in ready to hone condition for around $120 or a re manufactured and ready to install for about 195 and piston and rings around $70 but if you can find a used piston that isn't all scarred up then rings and a gasket set will run you 50 tops.
This jug is a nicosil ( i know i spelled it wrong) plated. So it has to be re-plated if it is tore up inside. Just easier to replace it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm very sorry but like I said I am very new to snowmobiles. Is the jug the casing that the piston slides in? I am in Aberdeen,SD (lots of snow!!!) and there are not very many motorsports parts stores so I will probably order the parts off of ebay.com or something
unless I can find something cheaper somewhere else.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes the Jug is the cylinder that the piston rides in. E-bay is a good source for some parts but beware somebody's idea of what is in good shape is usually below what yours is. I know there are a lot of jugs for sale on there but when they say minor scratch inside it usually can't be taken out with a hone. E-bay works for new piston and rings and gaskets. Here is a web site for US Chrome in Wis. They sell only re conditioned jugs. These are ready to install no honing so just put it together and go. Cylinder Plating | Cylinder Honing | Cylinder Repair | Cylinder Re-Plating| US Chrome Inc Cylinder Repair Company Be sure you check your intake boots on both cylinders make sure they are not cracked or clamps are broken or loose. Otherwise you will toast another piston right away. Check with on of your local snowmobile clubs they usually have knowledge of a local salvage where you can pick up the jug and piston used.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am glad you mentioned that because we got to looking and there was a smaller hole in the other boot so that one would have fried if we would not have cought that. thanks for recomending that web site but i would like to find something cheaper. If anyone knows of someone that is parting a sled that the parts will work on mine please tell me. There was a guy in Fargo,ND that has a reconditioned jug for $190 and to bore mine it was $210. Please let me know if I should hold out for something cheaper or if that will be the best price.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
it really all depends on how feel about the sled, if its worth putting a lot of money, I get a lot from e-bay and a lot of times Ill buy cheap and see how it goes, see if all problems are fixed then upgrade. I just checked e-bay there is a couple of cylinders for you around 150 one even comes with piston. when you are saying intake boots are you referring to the air box boots or the engine to carb boots? the engine to carb boots will blow it, the air box wouldn't. your temp light wasnt on when it was hot was it? check your oil pump lines and cable make sure it is working.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the sled ran perfect and I got a good deal on both of them so that is why I would like to do it as cheap as possible. What did you search on ebay because that would be a good price to me. The boot goes from the air box to the carb. Would a jug from a liquid cooled 1995 jag go on a 1997 ZL440? When you say cylinders you mean jugs right?

·
Registered
230 Posts
the 440 jugs as long as they are both LQ cooled will work but there is a different exhaust port on some of the models. some have a single and some have a triple that DOES make a difference. The part number will be stamped in the bottom of the casting of the jug. Be sure this matches with the one you purchase.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.