Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the big difference? I'm looking at buying a new (for me) sled, just don’t know the biggest differences?

·
I just fix 'em...
1,045 Posts
What’s the big difference? I'm looking at buying a new (for me) sled, just don’t know the biggest differences?
There was no 1996 XC600. The XC600 came out in 1997 and was a monoblock triple that year. Good reliable sled at that point. Beginning in 1998 the XC600 was a twin.
In 1996 there was an XCR600 and an XCR600 SP. The XCR600 was a monoblock piston port triple (one head cover over the top of the engine) with a single pipe. They carried over crank problems from the previous year but were blazingly fast when modified with triple pipes. A great little hotrod that anyone could make run but the cranks were an issue.
The XCR600SP was a reed valve triple with three individual exhaust pipes and three individual cylinders and heads. Clutched wretchedly from the factory, the SP was an under achieving dog but could be made right by a good tuner. Very reliable bottom end, same crank as use in later 680, 700 and 800 XCR engines.
If you can't repair the engines yourself, you would be better off with the XCR600SP, it is more reliable than the monoblock triple at this stage in the game. (Both being 12 years old)

And be sure to read my tagline below, it's the truth.
Jerry

·
Registered
921 Posts
There was no 1996 XC600. The XC600 came out in 1997 and was a monoblock triple that year. Good reliable sled at that point. Beginning in 1998 the XC600 was a twin.
wrong. the xc was first introduced in 1996 as a twin. then in 1997 it went to a triple then back to a twin in 1998

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which one would you buy over the other?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I stand corrected- that must have been a very low number release late in the season. What happened to the 600 twin in 1997?
Jerry
im not sure why they switched for one year. my guess would be because polaris loved their triples so they tried it in the xc and realized the twin was better. other then that guess, i have no idea.

·
Registered
921 Posts
i would go for the xcr if they are both in the same condition. xc stands for cross country and xcr stands for cross country racer. the xcr is a faster more aggressive sled. thats pretty much all i know about those sled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The XCR is a 1996 with 2400 Mi., clean plastics, lo-pro windshield, Aftermarket ski's, SLP pipes Asking $700

The XC is a ?96? mostly stock. Hadlebar risers and cobra windscreen.

I'm most likely going for the XCR, just need to wait till payday.

·
Registered
921 Posts
the xcr sounds like the better deal specially for the price! the book price on it is $1300. make sure you check it over. bring a compression tester with you, it shouldnt have under 120psi. i would think around 130psi would be good for that engine. if the engine is good, and nothing on the frame or tunnel is cracked anywhere, i would pick it up even if it needs some work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, the pull rope seems tight. My brother in law is really good with sled as far as buying used ones, ect. He's checking it out with me. For 700 bucks, thats a steal really. The sled is imaculate. clean as a whistle.

·
Alaskan Member
836 Posts
1996 XCR
Chassis: Wedge
Engine: 597 CC Piston Port Triple (early 1996 models with crank issues, after 1/4 way through production they were fixed [oil passage drilled])
Exhaust: Tuned pipe

1996 XCR SP
Chassis: Aggressive
Engine: 600 CC Case Reed Triple
Exhaust: Triple Pipe

2 completelty different machines.

No twins until 1997 (700 Twin) and the 600 twin came out in 1998. Polaris' largest twin was the 488 in 1996.

1997 XC
Same as 1996 XCR

1997 XCR
Same as 1996 XCR SP

1997 XCR SE
Same as 1996 XCR SP but with composite skis, slightly deeper track, and liquid cooled hydraulic brakes.

600 Twin came out in 1998 Model year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Look at the first 3 numbers of model number it is 097. It was a limited build test fleet.

·
Alaskan Member
836 Posts
I thought I posted to this again...

What I thought I said was it was either a test only model (only special privilaged people got to ride it for testing purposes), or it was a typo.

Maybe I forgot to hit the post button.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A greater-than-500cc twin in the XC/XCR chassis was not available to the general public until the somewhat limited-build 1997 model year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm gonna dig up an old post here. Does anyone have any sort of documentation on the 1996 build/1997 release date XC 600 twin prototypes? I'd love to know any and all details available, including total number built and locations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts