Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I noticed my vmax leaking oil during the summer onto the trailer it was seating on. It was more so coming from the passenger side. After inspecting and getting ready this fall, I found it was a light colored oil and was most likely chain oil. Unscrewed the plug and really couldn't see oil in there. Keep in mind i assumed it had all leaked out. Therefore, I took into a local guy who works on sleds. He said when he went to check the chain oil, it was overflowing. What? I don't get it. I bought the sled last year and had not added and chain oil. Any advice on this one? Could it be a seal or drive bearing wear it is leaking. Just don't want to run this thing and do further damage or get stranded. Also don't want the service guy to have to pull the track/suspension and charge me an arm and a leg. Any help would be huge!!! Thanks guys, trails open in Wisconsin tomorrow and I'm getting nervous!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there is a bolt about 1/3 the way up on chaincase cover to confirm full on the oil. to check the level, if you remove that bolt, oil should come out. if it doesnt, fill until it does. the chaincase only holds about 8oz, so if it was in fact flowing out the inspection bolt, you should be good to go. gear oil has a unique smell and is easily identified by that smell. maintenance history would be helpful, perhaps someone spilt some oil prior to you purchasing during routine maintenance. unfortunately on that sled, the only way to drain the oil is into the bellypan and its rather messy. keep an eye out for any more dripping. if its a seal, it will be in the tunnel area, gasket or excess will be under the bellypan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help YamaDad4...I will take your advice and do a little more searching...Just haven't found much online about this issue.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
that case has two seals on the back and a gasket for the cover. one seal is for the driveshaft and the other for the jackshaft. the jackshaft seal rarely shows any sign of leakage. there is also a copper type washer seal for the drain plug(the bolt on the lower right corner) and the same for the fill line bolt mentioned earlier. should be easy to locate a leak. take the pipe off(just a few springs holding it) and you will have clear view of the chaincase cover and bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That's a huge help...great job explaining it too!! Now I have an image of what I am trying to diagnose. I just couldn't quite picture it before. Thanks again YamaDad!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts