Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, all--

First, let me compliment everyone here on a very clean and cool forum. Glad I found it, but sorry I didn't find it earlier. Here's my trouble:

I have a bud that was given (yes, GIVEN) a 1996 V-Max 500. I'm not sure if it's the plain one, XT, or whatever. But I'm told it needs a motor. I'm not sure of that yet as I haven't torn into it. What I'm curious about is the motor mount setups on these sleds. I'm guessing they're kind of like an old Ford in the fact that the 600 twin will most likely bolt right in with few or no mods whatsoever. Is this true, and does anyone out there have a good spot to go to find a used or rebuilt 500 or 600 twin that will fit in this sled, if it does indeed need a new powerplant? Also, if a guy CAN bolt a different motor in, what years will this cover? I saw Dennis Kirk has cylinder sleeves on a closeout price for $60 apiece, which is pretty fair. I'm hoping that's the trouble, but don't know yet.

Thanks to any and all that check my thread, and again............very cool site.

slug

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also got a 96 vmax, nice you got it for free!!

There's a guy in St. Paul that has used/rebuild motors. My inlaws have purchased a couple of engines from him before with excellent luck. I'm taking my 96 vmax into this place on Monday to get it set up for my wife to ride (de-raced). I had my 97 vmax there last week and the guy is a god with how he got it running like a new sled at a -very- reasonable price.

He's also very knowledgable with what you could do with the sled as far as possibly using a different engine.

Good luck.

Motorsports Plus
Jeff Fisher
651-455-5657

1 - 2 of 2 Posts