Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey a friend of mine just purchased this sled. It has about 14000km on it but only about 3000km since a complete rebuild. The sled has a comet primary clutch as well. It seems to run nice but when you get on it, it gets outa the hole very fast then the rpms drop back from 8000 to anywhere between 6500 and 7500 and the sled falls flat at about 65mph. It varies on every pass across the field! Sled idles nice and seems to be making good power. To me it seems to be losing it all in the clutches. I am looking for a second opinion. One guy told him he thinks its been geared down as well and thats part of the reason it tops out at about 65mph. Seems to be suckin the fuel in at an alarming rate too.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would putting a comet clutch on drop top end like that? I thought they were supposed to be great replacement clutches. Either way yea we are gonna check the sprocket sizes and see where we are at. If anyone knows what stock is for this sled please let me kno!

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
It's more likely the secondary that needs tuning/cleaning.
It's hitting the proper peak, but then is dropping back too far.
This usually points to the secondary spring being too stiff or the wrong one(too weak) in the primary.
What is the engagement rpm?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sled engages at 4000.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sled actually engages at 3500, seems a bit low! I am going to take secondary apart after christmas, could anyone let me know what the secondary spring colour is supposed to be? Also if the spring is weak can I just increase the pre-tension on the spring, or will it need a replacement?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts