Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1996 arctic cat 340cc puma i got this fall for $650 and it ran good when i got it then i went on a 30mil or so trail ride and after that it wont idle it pops and backfires through the exhaust at half throttle and it runs great when the motor is cold but after it warms up it runs horrible and its almost impossible to get running again..if i put clean plugs in itll sumtimes start b ut not all the time...i cleaned the jets..and i havent monkeyed witht the carb settings at all...im guessing that either the rings are bad, or a base gasket or a crank seal is leaking or theres sumthing wrong with the carb i run premium gas and good oil idk whats wrong with this thing can somebody help me out or help me adjust the carb so it runs better or something??? i just am sick and tired of my sleds running like sh*t..plz help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i also heard that the hard starting when its warm but.. when its cold runs great when its cold could be the cdi box nebody know nething about this?

·
oh canada hmmmhmmmhmm
1,370 Posts
I had a CDI box go out end of last year putting it in the shed. It back fired and would not start this year. If not do the coil first than CDI box least expensive to most expensive.If your compression is off definitely piston and ring issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i did a compression check and the cylinder on the primary clutch side had 50psi and the other side had 75 so i took the heads of and am in the proccess of taking the jugs off so i can replace the pistons and rings should i also cross hatch the cylinders or since its a 2stroke r the clearances to tight to do that?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
It wouldn't hurt it to run a hone in there just to clear any piston residue. If there is a lot, you will need to use muriatic acid to dissolve it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts