Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 1996 polaris xlt 600 from a dealer near my home. i was told that the dealer took it as a trade and he told my dad and i he would take 900 dollars for it. Since he does not not normally take trade we were able to talk him down to 700. my problem is that the man who traded it in complained about it runnung too rich, so it does not run well wide open. it starts right up but we are not exactly sure what is wrong with it. Any help would be greatl appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ah, i get it. i just read your other post. Go through the whole system and clean the carbs. Take them (3) off and clean them. The best way is to take one at a time and dismantle it, just in case you forget, you have to others to look at. Then, soak them in carb cleaner all night long. This is more of a precatuion. Then go to the web or dealer and get a picture, illustrated diagram of you specific carbs (this is also a learning process for general purpose) and find the idle screw and air screw. Idle screw is self explanitory and isnt the cause of your problem, but it is good to know. Adjust all air screws in all the way and then ride it. Gun the engine and slowly turn the air screws out 1/4 turn untill it takes off just as you want it. When you start to feel the engine get worse after turing, turn it back 1/4 and then you are at the peak. Now i can't remember for sure, but i think there is a high end adjustment also, hold on, let me check the racing manual for my 99'.......What is really the decider is what kind of carbs you have. There are Mikuni and Keihin in most polaris models. Ok i checked, no high end screws. Um.. it sounds like the engine is running to rich or lean at high end. Reaplace all the plugs, claean the entire fuel system (carbs too) make the previously discussed adjustments and get back to me. If it is still giving you crap, tell me and i will have a few further ideas. I know cleaning up the low end doesnt seem related to your problem, but go from there to make sure the engine is getting the fuel and air it needs. It sounds like it isn't getting it.

best of luck

dano

p.s let me know how it works

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i do, i have been racing for five years in nema and i am moving to nesc youth b this season.
i have a
2003 ktm sx125
pro circuit works pipe
pro circuit r304 shorty silencer
v force reeds
black frame
renthal twinwall bars
renthal grips
excel wheels

im new to this snowmobile scene though

·
Registered
228 Posts
that's cool. i don't race much but i go to jolly rogers and southwick to ride. i got a 2004 ktm 200 exc. i do a lot of hare scramble racing and enduros. it would be cool if we could get some dirtbike pics rolling in here.

·
Registered
228 Posts
oh man my 200 works awesome for jolly's. when i get to southwick though i ride my friend's '03 yz 250F. man it really makes a differnce on that track with the fourstroke. i can go soo much faster on his bike and it isn't even set up for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you ridden Southwick now that it has been rebuilt? i think that its just as sick as the original. I just started hitting the camel humps this year and found that there pretty easy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah i went there for dealer day right after southwick. man that track was sick. i was kinda suprised by the size of most of the tabletops, they weren't that big. if u are talking about that double, i haven't tried that yet cause i don't ride my own bike there. looks like a nice one though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, i like the track much better than before. how does your bike do at that track? must have to ride it wfo. the deep sand realy sucks the power out of your bike. did u go there on dealer day?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no not i dealer day i havent even heard of that but on a 125 its pretty much a 4 gear track except the double. its much better on a 125 because i am used to racing an yz85 there and thats rough, especially the washborad(straightaway after the machanics area)

·
Registered
228 Posts
hey, i used to have a 2002 yz 85. that thing ripped. on my friend's yz250f, it is all 3rd gear wide open. man i love that bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my 85 was sick it had...

FMF sst pipe
FMF Shorty silencer
Team yamaha graphics
V-force reed cage + reeds
Pro Taper Bars
Pro circuit e-z hole shot device
dunlops front and back
renthal front and rear sprockets
gold chain
and i replaced the ring every 5 weeks
jetted for vp c12

That bike was the best bike i have ever had. it ripped and i never dnf'd on it in the 2 seasons i had it. Man i loved that bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have fmf sst pipe and sinlencer, twin air filter, boyeson reeds, new clutch(cause i burnt out the original woods riding), renthal chain and sprockets, bridgestones, renthal aluminium handlebars, n-style ultra graphics, decal works numbers, and a new rear fender.

i tried all of the other bikes (kx85, rm85) never tried a cr 80 but out of those two, mine was soo much nicer. i heard good things about the new ktm but i have never ridden one. this will be my second season on a full sized bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
sorry forgot to ask, do u ride in the winter?? i stud up my tires and just built a nice tabletop with the tractor. about 45 feet long. not that bad for off season on a new bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i normally ride in the winter but since this year was so cold for RI i decided to take my bike into my basement and try my best to bulletproof it for the upcoming season. i took almost every bolt out and loctited it down. good thing i did take it apart because when i did my last friction plates in my clutch when i siezed my engine i didnt tighten one of the clutch bolt and it came loose and almots drilled a 3 inch hole in my magneisem side case.

·
Registered
228 Posts
omg that would have sucked if mid race that thing came out. my friend blew his clutch on the last lap of the last race of the season and lost the points championship at derby. yeah it has been wicked cold. i got my bike at for christmas (i did have to sell my old bike and get a job to pay for half of it, i'm not that spoiled) but anyways it was awesome right around xmas and then it got too cold for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i told my dad i wanted a dirtbike when i was 10 and he told me to find work cause he wasnt buyin it for me. so i did yard work with my older brothe and financed my first bike. after that i pretty much sell a bike every fall and put that money for a down payment on a new one then the money i have saved over the summer goes to payin it off. i have to pay for gas oil and every race too. im not spoiled either. i hate seeing spoiled kids with dirty bikes who dont care about them at all because they can get a new one anytime they want.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah i was able to do that but then when i sold my 85, i didn't have nearly enough money to buy a new 125. so i bought a '00 ktm 200mxc and rode that. then i sold that and worked with my dad all summer and also at a dirtbike shop. my dad payed maybe $1000. i also have to buy any graphics and pipes and other stuff i want for it. luckily my dad pays for gas though cause i burn through a lot of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts