Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 polaris indy trail touring 500 and it wont start. I was riding it today and it ran good. I took the plugs out to clean them. then put them back in and it wont start. The compression seems to be lower than it was before I took the plugs out. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone know where I can get a manual for it? thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 1996 polaris indy trail touring 500 and it wont start. I was riding it today and it ran good. I took the plugs out to clean them. then put them back in and it wont start. The compression seems to be lower than it was before I took the plugs out. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone know where I can get a manual for it? thanks

You have to give more information than ........

.........."it wont start, what do you think is wrong"

no one here can help you unless you give some details.

is it getting spark? is it getting fuel ?

Your comment about the compression has me puzzled

It is unusual for someone to take the plugs out of a perfect running snowmobile to clean them , at least in my experience?
You stated it was running fine before that and now you feel the compression may be lower , unless you didnt tightem them up I can't see how there is any connection. Or do you mean it was running fine , then it stalled and that is when you pulled the plugs?

In any case test the compression and get back to us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sled was running poorly later in the day so I cleaned the plugs because I knew that the one plug had been fouled. With the compression, It sorta fooled me as well but it pulls over very easy. I would have to get back to later on the compression test.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ahhhh so it was running poorly before you pulled the plugs. Now this makes a little more sense to me.

Sounds like you may have blown her up

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
get new plugs for one and not clean old ones. also does it have spark like stated?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am getting new plugs and I don't think that it is blown up. I found out that the one carb is spilling fuel into the air box. I hope that it is not blown up because my last sled blew up on me.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
is it getting spark on both sides?

·
Registered
37 Posts
my 97 polaris ultra did that same thing last year. put it on the trailer and went ridin with wife. came back later and the trailer was soaking wet with gas. check for fuel shut-off right before carbs. i just took my carbs off and blew them out with air gun. put them back, and sled started on the first pull.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
my 97 polaris ultra did that same thing last year. put it on the trailer and went ridin with wife. came back later and the trailer was soaking wet with gas. check for fuel shut-off right before carbs. i just took my carbs off and blew them out with air gun. put them back, and sled started on the first pull.
if it does that again there are 10mm bolts at the bottom front of the motor to drain it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is lots of spark on both sides. It's getting fuel as well. The compression is a lot better. I still can't get it to start. I have been pulling and pulling it over and it isn't even offering.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
well if you have spark and fuel then it should start. and you said it was running before you pulled the plugs. you have me lost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts