Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding my 1996 formula 3 about 15 km I stopped and hit the kill switch. After that it took me about 15 pulls to get it started, but then it quit and now it won't start. Some of my friends said it is the Stator, but I want to make sure.

Can anyone tell me how to check to Stator?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You need to check for spark with a spark tester. It could be the CDI box, rarely do stators go bad. If you have no spark, I would try the CDI first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I check the CDI

How do I check to see if the CDI is bad? Are there some measurements I can take with a multi-meter?

Thanks

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Check for spark first. Remove a spark plug and lean it against the head, etc. Shut off the lights and pull it over. You should have a bright BLUE spark and should actually be able to hear it. If you have a good spark, time to check on fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After riding my 1996 formula 3 about 15 km I stopped and hit the kill switch. After that it took me about 15 pulls to get it started, but then it quit and now it won't start. Some of my friends said it is the Stator, but I want to make sure.
I have a '96 FIII that did the exact same thing during my preseaon tune last year. Stator was the culprit. Get an ohm meter and test resistance between wires on the three wire plug. Resistance between white and red 49-75 ohms. Black and red 2.8-4.3 ohms. First meaurements are the low speed generating and second are high speed. If I remember right low speed shorted closed on mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will try that this weekend. Did you install the Stator yourself,or did you get a mechanic to do it? Do you know where I can find a repair manual for a 96 F3?:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, I will try that this weekend. Did you install the Stator yourself,or did you get a mechanic to do it? Do you know where I can find a repair manual for a 96 F3?
I installed myself--no big deal but you have to get a pretty HD puller to get the flywheel off. I used a 4 finger plate type from snap-on. Use the 3 fingers that are the triangle pattern, screw into the flywheel with 3 bolts and start cranking on the puller bolt. I had to hammet the puller bolt get the flywheel to break free of the crank. I bought the factory service manual right from my local Doo dealer. I just bought a second sled, a 99 MXz and am getting the service manual on CD from www.fixitcds.com.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts