Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ZR 580efi this fall and although the 121 track was great and all i wanted something i could take to the hills for a little boondocking. so i improvised. I bought a 144 track and made it fit. I also added a 2inch riser and a set of plastic skis from a skidoo rev. i bought the sled for 500 and i have put about 500 into it and put it together wit my own blood sweat and tears. I need some pointers on what a guy needs to do to make it mountain worthy. It is all stock as far as engine and gears go. it moves pretty damn fast as it sits too. i want to put on a 6 inch riser so i would like to know how difficult a throttle extention is too. i need to add some muscle to this beast both in the plains and up in the mountians the more performance tips the better gentlemen.
Before

After

·
Registered
260 Posts
dude sry i cant help but that thing is sweet how hard was it to put that track on my buddy has a zr 580 and was wanting to do sumthin like this. wut parts did it all take?

·
Registered
26,127 Posts
The 144 is going to be ALOT to ask for that 580! (and $500 for a 95 is about right!) OK on the older battery type EFI I have an adjustable fuel presure regulator. I have found that as the EFI get old the diaphram gets stif and it increases fuel! With my adjustable you can fine tune it, comes with a gauge and all! Porting and pipe work will help! You will likely want to drop a tooth on the top gear, and prob rework the clutch too! As for the risers, either get an extension or just a longer cable and brake hose!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dude sry i cant help but that thing is sweet how hard was it to put that track on my buddy has a zr 580 and was wanting to do sumthin like this. wut parts did it all take?
you have to do is make your rail extensions. i just took some angle iron and beefed it up. i've never took apart a snowmobile but it was not hard at all, just a little time and patience. hardest part is taking out the old track, after that its just reverse what you did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 144 is going to be ALOT to ask for that 580! (and $500 for a 95 is about right!) OK on the older battery type EFI I have an adjustable fuel presure regulator. I have found that as the EFI get old the diaphram gets stif and it increases fuel! With my adjustable you can fine tune it, comes with a gauge and all! Porting and pipe work will help! You will likely want to drop a tooth on the top gear, and prob rework the clutch too! As for the risers, either get an extension or just a longer cable and brake hose!
What kind of work goes into porting? As far as adjusting the efi, where is that done at on the sled exactly (i relize its a little hard to describe over the internet). And for the pipe work, what can a guy do or put on with out messing up the performence, i know these things are a tuned exhaust arn't they? oh and the track had been punched and i shortened the paddles so we saved a little wieght there.

·
Registered
26,127 Posts
Porting is just enlarging the transfere ports and makeing the engine flow better. Tuning is done with a simple turn of a bolt on the regulator I have.Yes it is a tuned pipe. But with the adjustable reg you can do just that tune it! Pipe work is bassically gasket matching the Y pipe, and again flowing it. Then there is a mod for the can too! Angle iron on the fram rails??? They make rail extensions!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Porting is just enlarging the transfere ports and makeing the engine flow better. Tuning is done with a simple turn of a bolt on the regulator I have.Yes it is a tuned pipe. But with the adjustable reg you can do just that tune it! Pipe work is bassically gasket matching the Y pipe, and again flowing it. Then there is a mod for the can too! Angle iron on the fram rails??? They make rail extensions!
They do but not for my style of rear suspension, they put the fast track or what ever style rear in the zrs in 97. I have access to a plasma cam at my school so ill be designing some out of aluminum soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts