Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after a 6 or 7 year absence I'm finally getting back into the game. Picking up a 1995 XLT touring tomorrow for a good price so me and the wife can go for some winter fun in the fields and trails nearby. Engine was rebuilt 200km ago, clutches done 2 years ago, new shocks and springs, plastic skis, elec start and reverse, lights, gauges and warmers all still work and overall pretty clean for a 25 year old sled (aside from the seat being badly torn which I'll repair).

I've previously owned a 93 Indy 500 that came with the stock 8" suspension and I did an XTRA10 conversion on the rear with great results. I sold it that summer as I moved and needed the money.

My friend had a 96 XLT Touring with the Xtra12 that year, so I'm somewhat familiar with the sled, but I see that the 95 only has the xc100 transitional suspension.

Obviously there's less squish in the xc100, but I'm really not familiar with it otherwise. I assume its a setup similar to the Xtra10 but with 2 inches less travel?

Is there a swap that can be done for the longer 133.5" skid on the touring sleds or is it even worth it?

Looking forward to getting back on our trails, even though the first year buying a sled usually means terrible snowfall...

Also, any other things to look out for before I hand over the money? I've read that the cranks in those 600 triples were bad, the sled has 8800 miles and both top and bottom end were just done.

Xtra10s had suspension arm weld problems, are the xc100s similar? I have a source I can get to weld it - he did my Xtra10.

Thanks! Glad to be back!

·
Super Moderator
18,182 Posts
8800 miles kind of says your crank must have been pretty much ok ;)

The only problem I have seen with the xc100 is the lack of travel, they are very harsh in the stutter bumps. You may be able to fit an xtra-10 off of an RMK or SKS from the mid 90's, they were 136 and 133.5", so should fit pretty easily. If you do find one, get the mounting measurements from the donor sled, as the xc100 and the Xtra10 use different mounting locations. There are tons of videos online of swapping the 121" Xtra-10, not so much for the other two...

The reliability of the engine will be as good as the mechanic that did the work. I would ask if was done by a shop or done by the owner. If it was done by the owner, that may be a bad thing... ask him how he did the work so you can get an idea if he knows what he is doing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BC_Dan. You gave me lots of helpful advice back when I was repairing my old 500! This is more of a "use it for the year, maybe two" sled until we've got the budget for something more modern, so I doubt I'll end up doing a swap. Seems like the suitable Xtra10 would be tougher to find. The more I think about it, the less I want to sink into it, so really if I can get a season or two out of it and sell for what I paid for it (price really doesn't drop below what I paying around here for anything with papers and that runs) then I'll be happy.

Ideally I'd like to get into a touring 4 stroke eventually but just a bit more than what we want to spend at the moment!

Steve, what I'm paying for the sled, I could easily part out for. Track is in great shape, lots of new parts, plastic skis. Not too worried about losing money on it. People in my area sell 40 year old seized machines for not much less. I'm traveling a few hours and getting it at a summer price. Buy low, sell high!

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it home an hour ago. Seat is really rough and taped but I'll fix that. Otherwise fairly clean, and came with basically a full spare engine less a crank, with exhaust, carbs, recoil starter, etc. I can't imagine I would need much of that so I might sell the carbs and exhaust, keep the spare engine parts. Few other cosmetic repairs but elec and reverse work well.

Engine was rebuilt by a professional thankfully.

·
Registered
1995 Polaris XLT Touring
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The minor repairs and such have started... Had a leaking brake light switch so it wouldn't hold fluid. Part on order, removed and cleaned up the whole brake system in the process.

Noticed that my left trailing arm has a slight bow in it. Visible in the attached. No kink or cracks, just a slight curve. This will be a trail and field touring sled and won't see much rough impact. If my skis are still aligned and tracking well, would this really affect much? I might replace eventually but also worried that there might be some curve or bend in the steering linkage to go along with the trailing arm?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts