Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to get my Tundra II with pull start to fire. I am getting good spark at the plug and fuel on the plug and in the cylinder. Spark is not igniting fuel/oil mix in combustion chamber. Instead fuel/oil mixture is running out of the exhaust/muffler pipe and pouring onto the ground. I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the carburetor and jets to no avail. I also replaced the fuel which was old but to no avail. Checked compression and it was 97 psi. I realize this is low but it ran fine when it last ran. The piston and rings look ok. Specification for compression calls for 125-130 psi. Do you think this is my problem. The engine only has a pull start and has always pulled about the same. I have had the machine for over 20 years and this is the first year it won't start. Do you think I need to overall haul the top end?

Thanks for your input.

Kerwin

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Low compression will make it hard to start. Try this. Put about 1/2 teaspoon of 2 stroke oil down the spark plug hole. Slowly rotate the motor 1 full cycle. Put the spark plug back in, prime just 1 time, and try starting it.

If it pops, fires, and then dies, one more prime and try pulling it again.

If it does not fire at all, hold throttle at 1/3 and pull.

Don't know how much winter you have left, but I would rebuild it. Top end on that would cost about $100. If you don't have much winter left, then just get it running and have fun, then rebuild in the summer.
Of course, if it were me, I'd rebuild it in a couple hours and have it up and running. I just rebuilt a twin-fan and it took me about 2 hours. So a single would take about an hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low compression will make it hard to start. Try this. Put about 1/2 teaspoon of 2 stroke oil down the spark plug hole. Slowly rotate the motor 1 full cycle. Put the spark plug back in, prime just 1 time, and try starting it.

If it pops, fires, and then dies, one more prime and try pulling it again.

If it does not fire at all, hold throttle at 1/3 and pull.

Don't know how much winter you have left, but I would rebuild it. Top end on that would cost about $100. If you don't have much winter left, then just get it running and have fun, then rebuild in the summer.
Of course, if it were me, I'd rebuild it in a couple hours and have it up and running. I just rebuilt a twin-fan and it took me about 2 hours. So a single would take about an hour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response above. I did what you suggested several times and in each try it almost started. I will do as you suggested and replace the top end of the engine. Does this include the cylinder head and piston rings. What is the best place to buy parts? Again, appreciate your help.
Kerwin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts