Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? I'm new to the page. I'm looking to add an ice fishing sled to my collection that still has some speed and would make a good backup or loaner sled for buddies to use when we go out on the trails. I'm looking at 2 different sleds and would like your opinions on both.

First, there is a 1995 Ski Doo Formula S 670. And second, a 1998 Yamaha VMAX 700 XTC triple. Both have about the same miles, about the same price, and wear and tear. And both are just about completely stock as far as I know.

Which one would be faster?
Which one has better suspension?
Which one handles better on trails?
Etc.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmmm both have their strong points,the 700 red head Yami is legendary for reliability and the XTC is one of the better rides of that era for Yamaha that said the Doo did not take a back seat they rode as good and i would say better then the Yami on the lake I think the Doo would edge out the Yami on top end on a smooth groomed trail the Yami would rail better and that triple is sweet corner to corner a more civilized power band that said never owned a Doo 670 rode with a few I did have a riding partner that had the Yami red head he sure liked it and rode it forever with minimal issues tough call for me all things being equal we ride groomed so it would be the Yami.JMO Cheers O.S

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Not sure about speed, but I would guess that the Yamaha would be quicker. The 1995 suspension of the Formula S would be C7? IMHO, the C7 was great at speeds over 40 MPH, but under that it was rough. I've never really been impressed with the Yamaha suspensions through the 90's though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts