Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just about to buy a 95 Trail deluxe and just wanted to know if anyone has had one before that can tell me what to expect? Is it a good reliable sled or not? I have read everywhere that the deluxe model is standard with estart and reverse, is this true? I have also read that it has the xc-100 rear suspention which is garbage and that I sould swap it out for a xtra 10. Any info?

·
Mach1 92' 617 & 94' 670
183 Posts
looks like you have and have had a few polaris machines in your day, so I think you can easily see they are reliable and all around good machines. The extra 10 is definatly a good choice. The delux does have some nice features aswell.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have had a few Polaris sleds lol, I have had 23 sleds in total in the last 3 years, all just buying, fixing and selling. I havent had any trail sleds though, that is what I was asking about. Turns out that the trail deluxe does have estart and reverse but it also has a 133.5 inch track aswell. I found someone willing to trade the 2-up seat on it for a mint single so I'm gonna throw that on. Not sure what i'm going to do about the suspention though, but I will figure something out...

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Reliable yes. Is your a fan 488 or LQ500? Mines a 488. Reliable, but nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 90 Polaris Trail Deluxe Air Cooled. It has 5,000 miles on it and runs like a top and has not been rebuilt. I just replaced the trailing arms, front shocks, hood, windshield, and all the bushings in the front.

This summer I am gonna tackle the rearend and put a new seat cover on it.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah its a 488 fan.

·
95' Polaris Storm 800
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know how to remove a stuck choke slug from a carb woithout damaging the carb?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure which part that is, but I found the carbs are easy to pull apart and clean if pay close attention and use some TLC.

Trail is a solid machine. Will run forever, but eventually need to decide how much to put into it to replace the plastic. The windshield, seat, gas tank cover are get brittle and crack easily. The hood is rugged but the the cables are not.
Bumpers are fragile. Machine is a little top heavy if you're 6ft plus like me.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I really like my 97, but...I have xtra 10, Wilwood master cyl, studs, clutch work, single seat, better shocks, the plastic skis that came with my EdgeX, mirrors, compass, map reading light, aftermarket smoke mid height windshield, custom bumper, skid plate, and hood screens. It's dialed in the way I like it, and if someone offered me $1000 for it I would tell them to take a hike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up a 1991 Polaris Indy Trail Deluxe from the original owner with around 1,200 miles on it. It's in great shape and I'd like to learn a little more about this sled. It doesn't have reverse. Can it be added? Also, read on this thread that you can upgrade the suspension with a later model set up? Any one have details on this? Do you use the same track? It's a cool sled for it's age and very well kept!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It's a very solid motor and machine overall. The suspension will definitely leave something to be desired and an XTRA-10 upgrade would be great.

HOWEVER

The Trail Deluxe is the touring version of the Trail, and comes with that odd-sized 133.5 track. If you're going to step the suspension up, you'll have to pull an XTRA-10 skid from a newer Trail Deluxe or Classic Touring to get the proper sized skid. In the end, might not be worth trying to find that skid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Sounds like I might be better of leaving it as is. How about adding reverse? Is that a more feasible option? for a '91, it still has some heft!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The XC-100 skid is not bad, it gives you 8" of travel. The Xtra-10 is better and gives you 10" of travel, but taking out the Xc-100 and putting in the Xtra-10 is not worth the time and $ unless the XC-100 need allot of work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts