Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on these snowmobiles are you supposed to be able to turn the handle bar and the ski's move freely when its on ground without snow?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ment when it is sitting in a garage and not moving should you be able to turn the handle bar easily?

·
Super Moderator
17,548 Posts
The skis will turn but it will be much more difficult without snow. Carbides on the skis really bite into the surface which will make turning difficult, if not impossible.

If you lift the front end high enough that the skis clear, they should easily move. If not, there are other issues...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, my 600 is very easy to turn the ski while standing still on concrete, but the 500 I can't move the ski at all. I thought something was wrong with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You say you thought there was something with it, do you still think that? Have you tried something different if it doesn't move? Try disconnecting the rod end at the bell crank and see if the steering is free.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Your difficulty and the comparison between the two machines may be strictly in the ski profile. Polaris skis basically had a flat profile on the bottom until they came out with a rocker style in 96 or 97 that allowed ski to turn much more easily while sitting or moving. I'll bet your 500 has a flat profile.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yep some people forget that Steep. Also plastic skis on both will drop 20-30lbs off the front end making it steer 1000 times better. The difference is so much you will never use a steel ski again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts