Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 95 polaris indy, which ran fine when I got it and was able to drive onto the trailer under its own power. But I got back, started it again because I put new fluids in it, had it running for about 5 minutes just to have it suddenly sputter out to die. Where it hasnt started up since. So I poured mix directly into the cylinder but to no avail. Im very new to sleds so im just about clueless as to where to start and what to check. Because it ran strong for the time being just to suddenly die seems wierd.

·
Administrator
19,276 Posts
First thing to do is to determine if it has spark and fuel and go from there.

I like to use an in-line spark tester for the spark part. For the fuel, pull the plug. If it's wet, you have fuel.

I would remove and clean the carbs in either case. Starting any troubleshooting with spotlessly clean carbs is a must. If there's even a bit of dirt or varnish in some of the small air and fuel passages, you could be chasing your tail trying to get the engine to run.

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
Welcome
What is your out door temps?
Here it has been 90+ all week!
A 2 stroke jetted for 0 deg may simply be flooded!
Example at 0 you run 390 main jets, at 90 it may only need to be 340? or less!

Getting ready for next season is good, but cleaning the carbs should always be a Preseason ritual!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts