Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I have a 1995 Grand Touring 470, that for the most part runs really good, the only issue it has is that it seems in deep snow, it occasionally wants to bog out and the engine just seems to sputter. So basically low speed, deep snow, lower RPM, and it just dies. It is tough to keep going cause you just hit the throttle and it sounds horrible and doesn't go anywhere.

The compression is fine at ~130 in each cylinder. I've had both carbs apart, and same with a local guy that works on sleds, and the consensus on them is that they look good. This moves me on to electrical.

What should I do to try and pinpoint what the issue is? The kill switch does seem to have issues sometimes, could this be causing my problems? I've suspected the coil, but it doesn't seem to be a general issue once warmed up, but maybe the increased load on it from the deep snow is enough. If I had it bogging out on my, and then immediately after go to a hard packed trail, it runs fine.

Also, does anyone have some good jobber sites for a Canadian (Manitoba) to order parts for a sled of this age? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just had a thought. The kill switch acting up isn't a sign of a faulty kill switch (it's not that it just doesn't work sometimes, but sometimes it seems like it only kills one cylinder), is this not the sign of a faulty CDI, that could be causing me issues? Can I remove the CDI and run it? Do i have to jumper anything?

Also, I don't know if it is related in anyway, but my thumbwarmer (same side as killswitch) is intermittent. As I depress the throttle you can see the light turn off and on. I always thought it was a loose connection on the throttle, but what are the chances that the kill switch and thumbwarmer wires are together on the same harness? Is it possible if one has a bad connection that the other does too, causing my issues?

Just a couple thoughts I had, let me know if they seem plausible or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, Can`t find an edit button. Just wanted to clear up the `Can I remove the CDI and run it`. That isn't what I meant to say, I meant can I remove loop of killswitch/key/safety tether, and run it, so that the CDI/ignition isn't influenced by anything weird going on with any switch in that loop? Is it one harness to remove, and do I have to jumper it together (I'm guessing yes). Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.