Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this my first post =P and my first sled and my first problem =D

None of my lights work, the fuse box has nothing relating to lights and all the fuses are good. Is there are hidden fuse somewhere for the lights? My hand warmers do not work either. There is a cable that is detached by the battery, previous owner claims it is for the passenger hand warmer.

My bulbs are good, just put new ones in.

All and any help would be appreciated! I reality want to go ride this weekend.

I been reading the manual (http://chadt.us/snowmobile/ArcticCat/1990 to 1998/Artic_Cat_1990_-1998.pdf) but so far all i found interesting was the wiring diagram and i am wondering why tail light Brown cable is connected to warmer switch ?? Also i am wondering why i do not see head lights on the main wiring harness?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If all the lights (including the gauge lights?) and handwarmers are out, it's probably the voltage regulator. I just had to change mine this year too. It also made my tach act funny, it would read up to 3000 and then go dead. You can test it by unplugging the regulator and starting the sled, just don't rev it up! If the lights come back on, then it is a bad regulator. There is a chance of blowing all the bulbs with the unregulated current, so don't hold me responsible. :) If you don't rev it up, and then shut it right back down, it should be just fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Trying to find it, i disconnected something with 3 prongs on it but the sled wouldn't start so i am guessing that was not it.

don't see anything that looks like this:

Reverse alarm does not work either, i don't even know i have one, i assume i do.

It says that some models are equipped with the voltage regulator. hmm

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure on your sled. Mine is under the pipe on the chassis. (mxz700) Can't remember if my son's jag's is under the airbox, or above the right side foot well by the chaincase? Seems like it was under the airbox next to the fuel pump. It should be bolted to the metal of the chassis somewhere to get the ground.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my sled is supposed to start when i disconnect the voltage regulator ? When i unplugged it would not start and then i plugged it back in and it had a bit of a hard time to start.. maybe because it got fuel flooded.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh, maybe the EFI won't run without the regulator? Are you using the pull start or E-start? I have regular carbs and no E-start so mine would start without the regulator. Better find out from someone who knows about the EFI.

IF all the lights and the tach are out, it sure sounds like the regulator is bad.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Voltage regulator.rectifier is mounted to the left of your ECM box on the wall a bove your toe pocket for your right foot. It is a royal bear to get to. I actually found it easiest to remove the battery and ECM(and mounting bracket) to get to hte dumb thing. And Yes thats the expensive one! I replaced mine to only find out I had an intermittent short in my wire harness. Major bummer!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I doubt the rectifier is the problem as the lights are on the regulated AC circuit and that is a little 2 inch square piece located on upper back of the chain case with a bolt through it right below the ecm with 2 wires coming out of it and id bet that is the problem as i have had to replace a couple of them.

the rectifier is on the dc circuit to charge the battery

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes as the DC regulator/rectifier only charges the battery and i believe it also feeds the fuel pump power

all the rest of the electrics run off the ac regulator

I re read your original post about the wire not connected by the battery and there is an unused wire there but also that is the area of the AC regulator

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok ... where to start.. i need to head out to Michigan on Thursday evening =( i need my electrical working. So its either AC or DC regulator.... great. The DC regulator seems to go to the "hood harness" in the wiring diagram

·
Registered
168 Posts
well i dont know about a diagram but if you have a volt meter you can check voltage starting where the stator plugs into the sled. then check at the regulator goin in and coming out and chances are that there is voltage goin in but none coming out

·
Registered
168 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

if you follow around from the AC regulator you make it from the motor to the hood harness to the headlight dimmer switch to the hand warmers so id say that the 15 dollar part should fix your problem

you have to understand that goin to the hood harness means it running up to the headlight and to the dash lights ect. for example the wire "g" from the hand warmer switch is the dash light telling you that they are on and also like as the "br"wire it runs a loop makes a stop at one spot but if you disconnect that item thats not an issue as it continues to the next item

hope this helps

·
Registered
168 Posts
well its pretty simple and what your looking for is the ac regulator mounted on a stud on the chaincase below the computer held on with a nut and i say get that and change it and you should have the problem cured also on the wireing diagram it may help as the letter designates the color of the wires

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am still having a difficult time locating the ac reg. i have found the dc, to the left of the ecu. running out of places to look.. is it possible everything is controlled by the dc and i have no ac?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.