Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
My buddy has got a snowmobile, along with his entire family, and they go up to a cabin near syracuse, ny about every weekend to ride. He said that if I get a reliable sled, then I can come too and enjoy the powder. So I scrapped money together and got about $1900. Found a 1995 Polaris 600 xlt, studded, carbide tips, ski skins, 2k miles, with extras for $1700. They guy said its in good condition and the only problem is that the gas tank cap has a bubble where the fuel guage is I think, he said that's cracked, but other than that, its good. I'm going to look at it wednesday morning and was wondering if anyone on hear has had this sled and can give me any insight as to what to look for, and what are its pro's/ con's. Also, anyone have any advice as to help me get my mom off my back, she keeps saying that its stupid and worthless to spend $1700 on a toy that'd I'd use twice a year, except for the fact I told her I'd be using every weekend plus some. My dad is all cool with it and was gonna loan me a couple hundred, but my mom is becoming a pain in our behinds and my dad can't really tell her to shut up because he doesnt want to deal with here bitchyness.
Anyway, thanks for the advice on the sled and maybe some good lines on how this hobby/sport would only improve oneself.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tell your mom that I still have an xcr 600 and bought a new ski-doo this year... that's what I spent all my money on. My dad has a 95 xlt special, before you buy it you should check the compression (make sure that it is high like 120 or more and that they are all within 5psi of each other), make sure the sled starts good, idles good, that the clutches engage as they should (check weights in the primary to see if they are worn) check the track, it if is in rough shape the sled was probly riden hard, and look for any damage done to the rear end suspension. Like the rails bent or anything like that. That is all the stuff I think I would look for... anyone think of anything else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I seemed to get my mom calmed down so I think that problem is over, luckily. But I went and looked at the sled today with my friends dad, who's been riding for a long long time. He pointed out many flaws which it had but the guy didnt budge. My friends dad said he'd pay about $1000 for it because it would need repairs. Some studs are pulled out, and practically all the rest of them are ground down, and the track looks pretty worn. Then he said the drive sprockets look worn, and where they drive the track, the track looks beat up there. So I would be looking at probably atleast $500 in repairs, there some more small stuff wrong too. I already learned the hard way with my dirtbike that repairs add up alot and its better to just buy something thats good, some I'm still waiting to find the right one. My friends dad is gonna look for some up in NY this weekend or next, hopefully find a good deal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yeah, that's what I decided, I spent $800 rebuilding my xcr this year and replacing bearrings and stuff like that... I didn't want the hassle of worrying about breaking down out on the traill, broke down and bought a new sled and have the xcr for the gf to drive if she wants to go for a rip.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Be patient and pay attention to what your friends dad tells you. An experienced sledder/wrencher is a used snowmobile buyers best friend. SOME of the XLTs had problems. Especially the early 600s.

An Indy 500 with extra-10 suspension should be within your price range if you are look hard, is still pretty quick, and is generally dependable as heck. Don't sweat the cosmetics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts