Snowmobile Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
19,276 Posts
pulling clutches and removing and cleaning carbs are basic maintenance items that everyone should learn to do and do well. If you can do that, you will save a bunch of money over the life of the snowmobile in maintenance costs. You are on your way! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
pulling clutches and removing and cleaning carbs are basic maintenance items that everyone should learn to do and do well. If you can do that, you will save a bunch of money over the life of the snowmobile in maintenance costs. You are on your way! :D
Agree, I'll be ordering the clutch tool.
I found the correct ring gear for the elec start and ordered it from ebay.
I wouldn't bother but I already spent money on a good battery and new starter so...
I've been working on this since July, now the garage is frozen, I'll run a small elec heater and see if I can get it done.
I already went through the carbs, found jets blocked.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alright , I have installed a harmonic balancer puller on the flywheel with correct bolts, it's tightened and I'm hitting it with an impact but it's not coming loose. Can I use some heat from a Mapp torch?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
What are you pulling off? That seems like you're pulling the flywheel from the Mag side??

If you'll trying to pull the clutch with that, you'll break the clutch before that would work.

For the clutch you need this:

Font Art Electric blue Monochrome photography Slope

·
Registered
53 Posts
What are you pulling off? That seems like you're pulling the flywheel from the Mag side??

If you'll trying to pull the clutch with that, you'll break the clutch before that would work.

For the clutch you need this:

View attachment 66797
Yeh I pulled the flywheel, a local shop pulled the clutch for me for $10.
It's all apart, I'll start reassembling as soon as the crankcase sealant arrives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK, engine is back in the sled.
Trying to install clutch and having trouble getting the outer clutch onto the inner half. The spine on the end of the inner isn't engaging in the outer half. It doesn't seem to be marked for alignment, I can't find a witness mark.
I ended up pulling on it wrong and the inner part started to come out , a couple of small clips popped out.
I went to order the clip retainers but Dennis kirk site says they don't fit.
I'm guessing because it has the non original TRA clutch now.
I'm going round in circles with this sled.
Tomorrow I'll try putting the clips back with needle nose pliers.
Do i absolutely need those clip retainer plates?

Where do I look for alignment mark on the inner plate, I can't get it to slide back onto the splines no matter where I put it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ordered the 3 clip retainers for the clutch. All good there.
Decided not to run it with the slightly bent piston clip I installed, local mechanic told me to replace it.
New piston clips came today along with rubber shoe to mount the ski to the strut and a rear brake light lense.

Now I see I have to remove exh and carbs to remove the engine cooling shroud so I can get at the piston clip.

I've been working on this since June 2021. Such a learning curve.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Next time will be slightly faster, and then the next time after that you'll be able to get it done over a weekend.

Of course, we always hope there never is a "next time"

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
real pain to get them in without the proper tool. I finally broke down and purchased the tool. Unfortunately, it isn't one size fits all. Skidoo used 3 different sized pins and guess what, I have one of each in the machines I own.

Fortunately, All the Arctic Cats that I have use the same size piston pin one as one of the Skidoos.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a plan...
Insert the clip halfway. Push a sharpie pen through the piston, if the clip departs the sharpie will prevent it rom flying away.
With the clip halfway in push it with a small screwdriver blade, the trick is to cut a notch in the screwdriver to engage the clip.

There's a mechanic class video on youtube demonstrating the technique, the notch in the screwdriver tip was my idea.
I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
real pain to get them in without the proper tool. I finally broke down and purchased the tool. Unfortunately, it isn't one size fits all. Skidoo used 3 different sized pins and guess what, I have one of each in the machines I own.

Fortunately, All the Arctic Cats that I have use the same size piston pin one as one of the Skidoos.
Do you know which size clip installation tool I need, I see them for sale at less than $35.
But they list 18 , 20 and 22mm.
I'm working on a 1996 377.
E touring fan engine.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I bought the 18mm one because I mostly work on small-bore machines. Worked on the 380, 340, and 440 motors I have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the 18mm one because I mostly work on small-bore machines. Worked on the 380, 340, and 440 motors I have.
THe clip I have wont load in the install tool, it went out of round after trying to drive it in, I think its the wrong size clip.

the tool came with 6 clips, they look the same diameter but the wire is slightly lighter gauge, they go in fine.
Should I call it a win?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts