Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited a 1995 440 SKS that has sat for a long time. Got it in the garage today to start cleaning it up and getting ready to try and start it.
1st thing I found was the slides are stuck in the carbs definitely need to fix that.
Good news is the motor turns over with no problems.

If I need to replace the cabs could someone point me in the right direction for replacements/

Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
Those are 34mm Mikuni round carbs. Those are easy to clean up, just make sure you get a pair of kits with new needle/seats and set the floats right and you will be just fine with the existing carbs. Just take a small piece of wire and clean all the passages, remove-clean all the jets as well.

I would also replace the fuel pump as well, those are cheap at around 16 bucks for an aftermarket one. Not a fan of rebuilding fuel pumps others here are but I've used those aftermarket pumps for years with no issues. I would also double check all the bearings on the suspension, grease everything with a synthetic grease like from mobil one or something similar, drain and replace the 2 stroke oil just to be safe and switch to a synthetic if you can afford to. Double check the compression, replace the spark plugs & spark plug caps keeping the old ones as spares in the sled. Take apart the secondary and replace the buttons as those wear easily, clean up the helix as well and clean up both clutches as over time they can become corroded. Also I use graphite lube in the primary clutch some do some don't but we've used it to great success. Double check that the primary weights and all that are not worn and once you get it running that the clutch engages correctly. May want to consider replacing the spring in the primary and secondary as those wear out as well. Replace all the fuel lines as over time those become soft and can burst, replace the fuel filter as well.

Replace the coolant cap if it looks corroded, those can be had at any auto parts store or fleet/farm type stores. I buy them for 5 bucks at those stores and they are the same bloody thing from polaris for ten times cheaper.

All that stuff should be done to make sure it is in tip top shape, yeah it is a pain but that is what happens when people let sleds sit for years. Welcome and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
I would check the wearbars on the skis and the condition of the hyfax on the suspension along with everything that Coolhand listed. And it wouldn't hurt to change the chaincase fluid and maybe even the coolant. You do all that, it will be one VERY well maintained snowmobile!

No such thing as a free sled I always say ;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Kinda forgot about the chaincase oil, use either Klotz or AMSOIL Chaincase oil and not gear oil. You don't use that in a Polaris. I've used both of what I listed and both are synthetic and work great. Takes about a bottle total and the cost is cheap 7-10 bucks a bottle. Also I would go with carbides as well 4" with no studs 6" with 96 studs. I have had 440s from '90s and that is what I ran with good success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. It is now in the garage thawing out.

Will be trying to get the carb slides unstuck today.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Also on the coolant cap make sure it is the same lb rating or within a 1lb of the original one or it could cause issues by over pressurizing the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the carbs off and with a lot of work finally got the slides out. Mice had built a nest in the airbox and were using the carbs as their bathroom. Slides and needle were stuck fast.

Got the slides moving properly and now have to clean the rest of the carb pieces and get some new jet needles and clips. I bent them while unsticking the slides.

Threw a battery in and tried the starter but it won't do anything from the key but if I jump the solenoid it turns over great.

Some progress made!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts