Snowmobile Forum banner

1994 Yamaha vmax 600

2K views 52 replies 5 participants last post by  Tylerm89 
#1 ·
Trying to find the best solution to replace either a my the skin on my one ski for my 1994 Yamaha vmax 600 or even a good upgraded ski solution ..they are currently stock metal with the plastic skin but one has been damaged off so I figure why not upgrade .. Canadian shipping is needed if anyone knows any sites that are reliable or any universal skis that will work with my sled

#4 ·
So I am new to this to a very big extent because she's a bigger machine I'm interested in control and handling for its steering it's oem is metal skis with plastic skin but because the one ski doesn't have a skin I feel upgrading to plastic is better but currently there's mostly c a brands I can find just curious to what I need to look for fitting wise when it comes to skis for the 94 v max 600 and what ever skis recommend please put in the carbides best used with the skis

#5 ·
pretty sure slp can ship direct to you, i would think the slp lites are a good choice. had woodies dually on mine 6 in, another one to consider would be the mohawk , again with a 6 in dually, the mohawks would be a step up over the lites, i order a lot of my stuff threw sportmart 586-791-8140

#9 ·
You can still get OEM ski skins that fit perfect if you want to retain the stock look. I replaced my last season with OEM on my 96.

But, by going to all plastic ski's will save you a bunch of weight.
Seems like my main option will be replacing er ..under a g for the sled and maybe an updated track and new skis runs good if she gives me a season I'll definitely be happy and do more before next but yeah it seems like the easiest bet without messing around with mounting kits is to get new round bars for both find the plastic skin insert and a new plastic skin for it one sides for no round bars and the other side's really worn in maybe even just take all plastic off the bastards and put new round bars on both might be the cheapest easiest bet

#10 ·
You can get a pair Camoplast skis with mounting kit and carbides for around 250-300 shipped or at least you used to be able to on eBay. I have two sets of those I am using right now and they are really nice skis for the money. Top of the line no but definitely middle of the pack and they can take a beating. They use carbides from newer Ski-Doos and Polaris. They have two options a trail and a mountain option iirc. I have the trail version which is 5" wide instead of 7" for the mountain.

#14 ·
Also they use specific carbides not universal.

One of those

And for the carbides 4" would be enough of course 6" is better but with no studs then 4" will get you by just fine. X-Caliber, Woodys and Sno-Stuff all make carbides for those skis

You need this ski mount take the part number elsewhere if you want as it is specific to your Yamaha

And carbide from mfg. if you don't wanna go the ebay route

Also pay attention to this NOTE on mfg about the skis and mounting.

Note: Must purchase Yamaha collar part # 90387-106J3-00 for this kit to work with models listed below.

#18 ·
Post a link please. eBay canada is different then ebay us. Will still need that collar. And you need to make sure it has that mounting kit that I quoted as there is specific ones for Yamaha. Just trying to make sure you got the right one since it sounds like you already bought it. You need to ask him if it has this kit number with it. 900MKY-2 look at the mfg site and links it has what it fits on there as well you click the + and it expands to year and models.

#20 ·
lmfao you bought that from a place that is close to me that I deal with all the time,lol.

You will like those skis. I have two sets of them and have had one set on 3 different Polaris snowmobiles. I run 8" carbides on the one and 6" carbides on the other but I also run studs as without them in this area I would be all over the place.

#23 ·
lmfao you bought that from a place that is close to me that I deal with all the time,lol.

You will like those skis. I have two sets of them and have had one set on 3 different Polaris snowmobiles. I run 8" carbides on the one and 6" carbides on the other but I also run studs as without them in this area I would be all over the place.
[/QUOTE

That's what I'm wondering this is an older hard track and curious can I use the knuckles of the suspension or the axle bar to hold it up to do this ski swap here's my track next season I was probably gonna bring it into a shop and have them address everything I am ignoring for this one just want to get one season using er before spending alot to update stuff she will need new exhaust and probably a track most likely some other stuff I'll find out come the season truly but the skis definitely needed to be addressed

Attachments

#22 ·
Supply for everything is shot the past few months and will continue. I need to find a GPU for my mom's computer and I can't touch one for less then 200 for a piece of garbage. Just glad I have a ton of parts at the house for the snowmobiles. One reason why I started to buy fuel line in 25 foot sections just better to have it since we live in the middle of nowhere.

#27 ·
I have the ST version, the Mountain Max. It is the long track with a 136 track. It has a 1.10 inch tall lug. There is still some room in there between the cooling rails on top of the tunnel and the front of the tunnel. I would not go any higher than a 1.25. If you plan on studding the new track, you may be pushing it with clearance then.

#28 ·
Yeah I found the pitch is 2.51 or w.e the width is 15 and lengths 121 I feel the 1" to 1.25 track that's 2ply would be fine for er no studs I'll know what track will be best after this season just moved to where I am so I gotta check it out and see the generality of the area ..alot of lakes and rivers around so maybe next year I'll look into a new track

#29 ·
Yeah then I would go with the 1.063" Ice Attack with built in studs into the track itself and be done with it. Or a .91" with 1" studs then 96 of them if you want to go that route. Personally I am going to the Ice Attack next time saves me from having to sit on my butt on the concrete floor with a drill installing studs for 3 hours,lol.

Should be a 15x121" track with 2.52 pitch as that is the norm for those years.

#30 ·
Just curious I recently found out she needs 91 petrol I filled this 1/3 full with 87 ..would I be best to add a quarter bottle of octane boost run it through my first ride of the season.. put in a cleaner than fill with 91 or would she be fine with just the 87 for the first run before I add a cleaner and go to 91 petrol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.