Snowmobile Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I only got the one coat of base primer on er ...she's to cold this weekend even with the heaters going so this week I'm gonna add a second coat sand it down do a coat of pearl white let dry than do the side vents red than clear coat it come next season completely do the body to match my body work wasn't the best but once I get the second coat and smooth it out a bit more it'll look better...I couldn't get it any lower without risking the integrity of the hood and didn't want to carry the patch out to the hood line so I'm taking the extra prime and blend step instead

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not bad none the less she was completely broke on the left corner so I had to rivet in some support add some holes to take the pressure off little bit of patch under but the fibreglass Bondo worked amazing got away with a plastic heat stapler on the front eyes she had a split so she isn't coming out bad but definitely hoping the rustoleum won't be an issue

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
lmfao you bought that from a place that is close to me that I deal with all the time,lol.

You will like those skis. I have two sets of them and have had one set on 3 different Polaris snowmobiles. I run 8" carbides on the one and 6" carbides on the other but I also run studs as without them in this area I would be all over the place.
Hey so these skis and carbide runners they aren't distinct for which ski is which side and which carbide is for which side lol is there any way of knowing

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Doesn't matter they are universal can be put on the left or right same with the carbides.
Hey so these skis came with the cylinders but they're to wide for my snowmobile feet and the feet have these spacers attached should I grind them off to fit the skis or grind them down a bit for a tight fit and just slide the pin through with out this extra cylinder...the spacers on the side are only a bit to big if I grind them down a little enough to add a small washer between if needed and just slide the pin through I should be fine I believe yeah?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I literally didn't need anything besides the washers ..spacers were welded to the footing and its inner cylinder is still fine I literally grinded a c hair off both sides of the spacers and got the one ski on like a glove ...had to grind all the old bolts off er haha so she was fun one down

Attachments

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Even on the ground in the garage you will notice a huge difference in steering. It feels like you took a hundred pounds off the front end. I had owned a snowmobile before with plastic skis but it came with it when switching the ones I have now from steel/ski skins you really tell and feel the difference vs just buying one with plastic skis on it. You realize how the hell did I ever steer this before running at 50-60 mph on the curvy trails around here!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yeah I never got to take er out yet my first season actually owning a sled that's why I went cheap lol definitely will be keeping this one for a long time be cheaper to do an engine swap and renew the track for next year than it would be buying a new one lol ...just some weird see through electrical cord in the handle bar is broke I have brake tail low and high beams so I'm assuming it's something with her auxiliary heat cords or something I just want to get a good season before dumping alot in haha good price for the skis so far I'm only 1800 total in on this sled so fingers crossed for the winter it definitely is awesome having a great forum for advice makes it alot more enjoyable and easier to deal with minor stuff

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Tbh those camoplast skis can take a beating. I've got probably 10-12 years on both sets of mine with one set being used on 3 different Polaris snowmobiles. I've got a couple scrapes on both sets but they are really small. Lot's of people use those skis with great results.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Yeah so the spacers were seized on to the original cylinder that goes through the foot so the first ski I grinded down both spacers a little bit I only got the bolt tightened so much though...the other ski grinded a spacer off completely on one side and it had a perfect fit using a washer for the gap between the mount and footing ...I should of grinded both spacers off on both skis and used the smaller spacers I got tbh because I'm not sure if the bolts on secure enough we shall see...the original cylinder is completely seized in on both sides so yeah I might end up taking them off and grinding both spacers off on both skis use 4 washers on both and it'll be perfect and have a real nice tighten..really the spacers should of came off easily and the inner cylinders should of came out but yeah that's not happening haha worse case I'll have to lift it back up drop the skis off and grind 3 more spacers off I'll wait and see for the first ride

41 - 53 of 53 Posts