Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently got a hold of a 94 vmax 600 that seems to be in pretty good shape for 450 bucks. It has spark and seems to be getting fuel to the cylinders but just wont start. It will run momentarily when i give it a little shot of starting fluid but after that, nothing. i checked through the carbs and they seem to be clear of obstructions but were missing the pilot air screw, spring, and o-ring. got new ones in but still no luck. the sled had been sitting for a few years before i got it so i put fresh gas and oil in it and the fuel pump is moving fuel/oil to the carbs and seems like the carbs are getting it into the cylinders. i'm stumped, any ideas?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
Are the plugs wet? Clean the carbs. You should every season. Pull the lines off the carb and pull to get gas. if none comes out, the check the fuel pump, impulse line, pick-up line, and fuel filters.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
could be a crank seal issue. have you tried new plugs? are the plugs looking overly saturated with fuel? can you smell good fuel after you pull it over a few time and the plugs are wet?(get your nose down to the spark plug hole) put away the ether and mix some good fuel at 50:1 and dribble some in the cylinders and see how long it runs. are you using the choke? the more info you can give, the more accurate the diagnosis.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the choke on when I try to start it and yes, the plugs are saturated with what seems to be good fuel. I will try mixing some 50:1 and see what i get. something that may be of note: I did get it to run after i drained the crappy old gas out and put fresh stuff in the tank. It took a little shot of starting fluid to get it to fire, but it did run, roughly. after this i was excited and thought the new pilot air screws would clear up my problems but when i put them in, I'm back to square one. I'm pretty sure this thing should run, it has spark and fuel which usually do the trick on any other small motor i've tinkered with. ill put the ether away and try the fuel, thanks for the help!

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,819 Posts
I do have the choke on when I try to start it and yes, the plugs are saturated with what seems to be good fuel. I will try mixing some 50:1 and see what i get. something that may be of note: I did get it to run after i drained the crappy old gas out and put fresh stuff in the tank. It took a little shot of starting fluid to get it to fire, but it did run, roughly. after this i was excited and thought the new pilot air screws would clear up my problems but when i put them in, I'm back to square one. I'm pretty sure this thing should run, it has spark and fuel which usually do the trick on any other small motor i've tinkered with. ill put the ether away and try the fuel, thanks for the help!
Also, the jets could be clogged from that crappy old gas. clean the pilot as well as the other parts of the carb. It will idle rough or not at all if the pilot jet is clogged. There are several sections on here on cleaning carbs, as well as videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wasnt sure exactly where to put them but yes, they were close to that. I will set them there when i try to fire it again in a little while, gotta paint the bathroom tonight too!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
over 8000, turn it back about a 1/4, or 7/8 out. this based on the fact the mains and needles have been set for elevation. 6000 and up to 8000 should have mains around 148.8 and needles in the #2 position. that shouldnt run too bad with a screw adjustment above 8000. even some 147.5 mains would work well also. since this sled is new to you, did it come from your area and was it clutched and jetted for the altitude?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will all be happy to know that she is runnin like a raped date! This is probably the dumbest fix of any motor ive ever worked on....the fuel pickup line in the tank was too short to allow the filter into the fuel and get enough gas to the carbs. I'm sure the new pilot air screws and carb cleaning did a lot of good but the main issue was fuel starvation. is this an issue that anyone has ever hear of with these sleds?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took it up to Rollns Pass (~9,000-10,500 feet) outside of boulder today and this thing did great. it goes pretty good in the deep stuff except when trying to climb big hills which is understandable for only having 1.25" lugs on the track. seems like the clutch could use a little adjustment to make it hook up better? Dont know if these are adjustable or not? I think i definitely got a deal for the price i paid! Thanks for the help with my questions, you guys were pretty helpful. Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
both clutches are adjustable, per say. what was it doing that you didnt think was right? things you need to look at would be what arms are in the primary and how they are weighted, what color spring is in the primary as well as the secondary. what helix and what angle is it set at in the secondary. yours would be options of c,a,b and a 1,2,3. other things of importance are gear ratio(need to know the tooth count of both gears as well as the track driver lug count). also of importance would be the clutch engagement rpm as well as the full shift rpms. if you have the presence of mind to check the speedometer at your target rpm of around 7700, track speed can play a major factor in clutch tuning/gear selection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have decided to ride a little more to determine if the clutches need adjusted, i realized the place i was riding before had ice under the snow giving me a "slipping" feeling. does anyone know how to determine the year of this sled for sure by way of a VIN or ID number somewhere on the machine? I have looked and can only find a number stamped in the right side of the tunnel that doesnt look like any VIN i have ever seen, its too short. I know the 94-96 vmax's look very similar and was thinking since the guy i bought if from originally told me it was a 93 i may not be sure if this is a 94 at all. I only realized it wasnt a 93 when i searched for parts and found this model only under 1994 year model headings, hence my calling it a 94.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the number that is stamped in the tunnel on the right side (as i sit on it) by the footrest is 8CC-001671. This same number is stamped on the motor but like i said, doesnt seem to be like any VIN ive ever seen...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts