Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has seen this before and knows the answer - problem is with my neighbor's sled that I'm helping him with.

1994 Yamaha VMAX 600 with Electric Start

Problem: Looks like a firing issue - when you either pull (cord) or turn (electric) the engine over, you get some firing initially (there, but I don't think it's that great a spark) and then as the the engine keeps rolling, the spark stops completely.

Sled won't start cold as a result (it was starting if you put a tarp over it and stuck a heater blowing into the engine bay for an hour but even that doesn't seem to be working now) but will start and run fine if it's been running the same day. Seems to be flooding when it's cold as it looks like it's not getting enough spark to start/keep running.

Replaced for troubleshooting so far:
Plugs, used coil (borrowed from running sled), used CDI (bought used).

Note:
Looks like throttle safety was already unplugged and plugged back into itself (been like that since he got the sled last year). We tried plugging it back in properly but it didn't make a difference so we put it back as we found it (for now).

Could it be the voltage regulator? I tried to meter it with an analog multi-meter while he pulled the sled over. Set at the 50 volt DC range, the needle would pin to the top as the motor began to roll, drop back down to 0 volts as the it continued to roll (slowing down), and then seemed to pin to the top again just as the engine stopped (and then dropped to 0 again of course).

Should it not be puting out 12-14 volts DC constant while the engine is spinning?

What about the stator? I couldn't find something specific about this sled's stator but I read somewhere that small engine stators put out around 50 volts AC and that the regulator drops it down to 12 volts DC and cleans it up. Is that correct?

Any ideas appreciated.

Grant

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
have you looked at the carbs? Pull and clean them as well as the fuel pump! Replace all the lines too including the pick up in the tank!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - problem is, gas is there, it's just sparking and then stopping sparking while the engine is still spinning. It ends up flooding as a result.

I need some ideas on what's causing the spark to stop and/or some more info on what the stator and voltage regulator should be puting out.

Thanks

Grant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody know of anybody around the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area that rewinds stators?

I'd like to try and get his machine back up and running ASAP so if he can deliver personally and pick it up, it would probably be a lot quicker.

Grant

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 1996 vmax dx. I had removed the stator and had it tested. Tested good. Still having the same issue. Spark when first engaged and a spark at the end when letting go of the key.....the spark doesn't stay....help please !!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Could be that the CDI is or has overheated and is causing the electronics inside of it to not function right. It is a common issues on any snowmobile where over time the insides of a CDI end up with too much heat over the years and just starts to cut out intermittently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts