Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my sled won't charge. Runs fine with a fully charged battery, but as it starts to loose voltage......well, the old cat goes on a leash.

I get no lights when I turn the key on, but the coolant and oil light come on when it first starts, then go out after a few seconds. Battery light has never come on. Checked voltage on battery, no gain whether at idle or rev.

The emergency shutoff switch must either be broken, or by passed as it does not seem to work (won't shut off the engine).

I have a 3 prong plug hanging out of my steering column, and after some digging I found a matching 3 prong plug inside of the column with a terminator/jumper plug attached to it?(not sure what that is all about).

I have 3 black wires hooked to the negative battery terminal, and 2 red wires and 1 brown wire hooked to the positive side. I'm not sure if this is correct, main question is with the brown wire.

I've read that there are wires in the main harness that can be comprimised by the airbox and under the coolant lines. I plan to remove the tank and seat tomorrow as that seems to be the easiest way to gain access.

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for this sled, or some insight on other possible causes.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have searched high and low, and other that the fusable links, I've yet to find an actual fuse any where on this sled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the fuse!!! It was in the trunk........ I think I found where it was cut out, and will be replacing that tomorrow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out, for some reason the guy I got it from had the black wire from the regulator/rectifier going to power. It changes from a black wire to a brown wire and I hooked it up to the negative battery post...fixed the problem with charging, and I have a battery light now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
wiring diagram

i have a 93 wildcat 700 efi no spark no battery light just checked battery have 11.5 volts waiting on new cdi box but i have a new stator new coil and new ac rectifier.

REALLY NEED HELP MISSED TO MUCH RIDE TIME ALREADY

when i connect brown wire to pos i heard fuel pump kick on connecting it to neg did nothing.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
So, when you turn the key on, nothing is lighting up and the pump will not run?
Battery is way low there at 11.5v.
It requires a minimum of 12.5 just to make the pump run, let alone trigger the relays.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have a brand new battery installed and still nothing i'm gonna charge it to ensure a full charge but this sled has given me nothing but headaches

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey buds electrical is the hardest but from a few easy test you can confirm the problem,It probably not your battery but their are many components use service manual to identify that each component is working by doing a static and dynamic volt and resistance test check stator and rectifier, you should get .2-.9 volts coming out of the stator with it not running static test if o.l shows you have a break in the wire.Take the connection apart from the regulator and statr look up how to perfom those test and tht will give you a clear idea if you are having a charging problem lots more test can be done but what the main complent sorry i have to base my response of what you gave plz give in deatil what comes on and what doesnt

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
OK, if you have any more issues, I have the testing procedures to try to trace the problem.

Here's my best tip;
buy the shop manual.
It will be the best $30 that you ever spent on that sled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok i had the headlight working now it is not i'm waiting on a brand new cdi box that is coming from washington. i need clear conformation on where this brown wire connects to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
is there anyway you can send me a pic of those one at a time i can not zoom in enough to read it.

I have in stalled a new stator, new cdi box ac rectifier, new coil and new battery any idea anyone please

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts