Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a vmax 600 last spring, hadn't been used in 3 years, sat outside on a trailer, but he started it every year. We did a very light lookover, new plugs, cleaned airbox, seafoam, new crankcase oil. Ran it this year on the 2x no issues. Ended up cleaning the carbs because a screw came loose and only one flap was working. I put about 160 miles on it this season and today it seized up. The pullcord won't budge and my right cylinder spark plug is gray with light gray specs. I was full on oil. What could have caused this? I didn't see my overheat light come on and there was plenty of snow and coolant. any tips would be appreciated on how do begin finding the cause and if its worth rebuilding or just parting out/ junking.

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Those symptoms often point to a lean condition that has overheated the engine. The lean condition can come from a bad crankcase seal, a bad carb to engine adapter, or debris/ice lodged in the main jet. It can also happen if the sled is jetted for warmer temps and is ridden in much colder temps, or if it's jetted for high elevation and ridden at low elevation.

You probably won't know for sure the cause until the engine is torn down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those symptoms often point to a lean condition that has overheated the engine. The lean condition can come from a bad crankcase seal, a bad carb to engine adapter, or debris/ice lodged in the main jet. It can also happen if the sled is jetted for warmer temps and is ridden in much colder temps, or if it's jetted for high elevation and ridden at low elevation.

You probably won't know for sure the cause until the engine is torn down.
Thanks. We have another sled that blew a ring that has priority over this one. Once the engine is torn down I will post some pics.

·
Registered
26,057 Posts
Welcome
One of the things I preach about here is to clean your carbs every preseason!
You find Mouse Houses that way before they destroy your motor!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome
One of the things I preach about here is to clean your carbs every preseason!
You find Mouse Houses that way before they destroy your motor!
Before we started it at all we looked into the air box and cleaned out a mouse nest. So that was not an issue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts